Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I just have a quick question I have a 1999 Quadrunner 250 4x4 and the front drum brakes are rusted and pitted on the inside of them.But I was wondering has anyone on ever took 4 wheeler drums somewhere to be turned down cause mine are eating up my front brake shoes like nothing.Please let me know thanks :)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Pads are cheaper than drums. Just run them and use them and they'll smooth out eventually. Think of it this way, for awhile your brakes are gripping more than they normally would so you can stop better.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that was thing I was thinking about doing is just keep on changing them until the drums smooth out again but yeah that why I was wondering if they could be turned down.I was looking on rocky mountain atv website and I couldnt beleive the price for a new set of drums they wanted 325 dollars each thats just crazy but yeah I guess ill just hope they smooth out eventually after a few sets of brake shoes thanks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One other thing I was thinking about doing is get some emory cloth and just try sanding them smooth again that way I could probally get some of the rust and pits out of the brake drums maybe.I have already scrubed them out pretty good with some hot soapy water and a good abrassive scrub pad and that seemed to of smooth them out alittle bit.:)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I would be hesitant to go at them with anything to abrasive but since they're so bad now maybe go at them until the big chunks and things are smooth then I'd say there's not much to do but live with it and use the brakes a lot.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welp I got a chance to after them with some emory cloth and it cleaned them rite up got rid of alot of the rust and pits so it did a pretty good job of smoothing them out.So now ill just leave it up to the brake shoes I guess now to finish the job of polishing them up but I dont think they will be eating up brake pads as fast now since there quite abit smoother.Thank for your post they were really helpful Kingquadrunner.:)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welp after sanding the drums with emory cloth and cleaning them my brakes are not being eaten up anymore and work better then ever since I have had the 4 wheeler.I got a chance to take it for a ride saturday and they still work great after a 15 mile ride so I would say there fixed.:)

·
Super Moderator
7,302 Posts
Glad you got em fixed. Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here on out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would be hesitant to go at them with anything to abrasive but since they're so bad now maybe go at them until the big chunks and things are smooth then I'd say there's not much to do but live with it and use the brakes a lot.
Common brake service practice actually. I service discs, drums, pads and shoes with 40 grit sand paper in a circular motion to look like this. You do the shoes/pads too so you remove any built up metal/rust.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I actually got to looking in my service manuel for my 4 wheeler and that was actually what they reccomended to do to if the inside of the drum needed smoothing out.I used I beleive it was 80 grit emory cloth and did a pretty good job of cleaning them rite up and like I said my brakes on that 4 wheeler have never worked better.

·
Super Moderator
7,302 Posts
O.k, to clarify something here what are you referring to when you say shoe pads..? I've heard of brake shoes or brake pads. Shoes generally go on drum brakes, where as pads go on brake rotors.

·
Registered
17 Posts
well to the op. yes they can be turned I have done it before. however it is far better to use emory or sand paper removes far less material. only turn when you have to. highdesertranger

1 - 13 of 13 Posts