Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to replacing my front differential and axles on my 2000 KQ 300. It seemed to work well for about an hour of pulling the kids around the yard on their sleds. Now all of a sudden regular gear shifting seems almost like its slipping instead of the responsive shifting from the day before (weird since I didnt touch anything else but the front diff) and when up on Jacks only 1 front tire is working correctly in 4wd the other seems to sort of engage but moves a bit slower than the other under load and not at all when idling. And everything works fine in diff lock. Just looking for some input before I tear back into it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
How easy is the tire to spin in neutral? Perhaps a wheel bearing or dragging brake?
Might explain the slipping if it's putting a lot of drag on the motor?

It's also possible the extra strain of just pulling kids on sleds if you did it in high was enough to wear the clutch enough to need adjustment if it was on the cusp before, have you ever adjusted the clutch?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does drag a bit but can be turned by hand without much effort. Wheel bearings on that side are brand new and I had also done the brakes on both sides. It definetly feels like the brake on that side is causing a bit of the dragging but not enough that when I hit the throttle it should move better than it does. I have never adjusted the clutch.

·
Super Moderator
7,473 Posts
4WD is meant to give you better traction but allow the front wheels to rotate at different speeds. So if you jack the bike completely off the ground they won’t necessarily rotate at the same speed when applying throttle or just at idle. In diff lock, all 4 wheels will rotate at the same speed regardless of if all wheels are off the ground or not. It’s also why steering is much harder at slow speeds in diff lock then when in 4WD. As for the drag, try riding the quad without any load on it and see how it performs. If you still have issues make sure no brakes are dragging etc. If that doesn’t help. Try adjusting the clutch to see if that solves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I took it for a test drive earlier it definetly did not feel right right in 4wd. As for the shifting I'm assuming you guys are right and will adjust the clutch tomorrow. The brake on the problem side is rubbing a bit so will adjust that as well. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Hoping it's that simple. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just finished up messing around with everything. The clutch is adjusted and the brakes adjusted. Only went out for a ten minute drive but everything seems to be running great. So far.....I was out playing for an hour before it started giving me issues before. We have 30 cm of snow coming tomorrow and the kids will all want to play around outside so that will be the true test. Thanks again for your guys input 👍👍👍👍

·
Super Moderator
7,473 Posts
Awesome. Glad it’s back up and running.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not back up and running....no 4wd at all and nothing in diff lock at all..nothing. now all that being said, I love working on this stuff. It my first atv but have been working on larger vehicles forever. Havent come across anything I cant fix yet...with resources such as this site of course. So I'm kinda lucky in this situation because I have an opened up diff sitting on my bench and 2 others that i got with parts bikes. I havent taken the second one out of the other bike yet. Just the first one. I'm almost tempted to take the one I just installed apart and grab the part I broke out of it and try to fix diff number one that was originally in my quad. All I know is ten minutes working then not is frustrating lol. Any ideas as to why it just would stop working? I tried to go up a big hill in the snow. Everything was fine before hand and I went up the same hill last night with almost no effort.

·
Super Moderator
7,473 Posts
Check your shift linkage to the front diff. Might just be out of adjustment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So apart once again. Turns out I managed to somehow break an axle at the lower cv. Is it normal for the wheels to spin opposite on another when the front end is off the ground?
I have 3 spare axles. I dont want to break another one given that they are over $500 new from the dealer. I think it is weird that it broke in the first place.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If it is not in diff-lock they can spin in opposite directions.
If you stop 1, the other will turn in the direction it is supposed to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got everything back together and working without any real problems. There is however a sound that's sounds like a "hollow metal bouncing grumble".....lol... that is coming from the front end when trying to get moving in the snow. It makes the same sound in hi/low/super low, 4wd and diff lock. I wish there was a way to post an audio clip. Everything seems tight but almost seems like there is something bouncing around. Bearing maybe?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Did you set the correct clearance on the pinion to the ring gear? (that's what the shims and crush sleave are for)

·
Super Moderator
7,473 Posts
I wish there was a way to post an audio clip.
You could post a video clip if you have a YouTube account. Just make a small video and post up the link as a post in this thread. And if you don’t have a YouTube account. It’s free to sign up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will definetly post a video on youtube. It never even dawned on me to do that.
As for the clearance...I havent had a chance to rebuild my original yet so I'm under the assumption that the used one that i installed was rebuilt properly if it was ever rebuilt. When I do finally get a chance to rebuild my original, I have a manual and also an exploded diagram of the diff. I'm sure I'll have a million questions though lol...when I finally get to it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts