Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quad runner LT – F160. A person gave it to me it was not running. I worked on it for a couple weeks in the evenings and got it running very well. One day I was using it as normal then let my son drive it through the woods. it began to stall and cut off. I figured it was because he was feathering the throttle from not being on this trail before. I would walk up push the start button once or twice it would fire up again and he’d be off riding. This happened a couple times, so I told him to get off and I jumped on it and began to ride it myself. it sputtered, popped and would not get up a hill that this thing was ripping 15 minutes prior. I managed to get it back to my garage and all I can get it to do is fire but not Run. I thought it may have been the carburetor even after I cleaned it, so I got another and it does the same exact thing. It always had air coming out of the carb while starting. Any ideas what I’ve got going on? Thanks!

It will only turn itself over a maximum of 2 or 3 cycles in a row.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a quad runner LT – F160. A person gave it to me it was not running. I worked on it for a couple weeks in the evenings and got it running very well. One day I was using it as normal then let my son drive it through the woods. it began to stall and cut off. I figured it was because he was feathering the throttle from not being on this trail before. I would walk up push the start button once or twice it would fire up again and he’d be off riding. This happened a couple times, so I told him to get off and I jumped on it and began to ride it myself. it sputtered, popped and would not get up a hill that this thing was ripping 15 minutes prior. I managed to get it back to my garage and all I can get it to do is fire but not Run. I thought it may have been the carburetor even after I cleaned it, so I got another and it does the same exact thing. It always had air coming out of the carb while starting. Any ideas what I’ve got going on? Thanks!

It will only turn itself over a maximum of 2 or 3 cycles in a row.
Did you ever get this fixed because my 2001 250 quad runner does the same thing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far I pulled the motor and it looks like it jumped time. Readjusted the cam, compression went up. It puttered for about 10-15 cycles before cutting off . Haven’t had time to mess with carb. Better but not convinced I’ve fixed it yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you ever get this fixed because my 2001 250 quad runner does the same thing.
I got it running pretty much like before after the timing was fixed. It was the spark plug. I thought about how it acted better but only idling for a couple seconds and figured I’d look at the spark. IT WAS ARCING MOSTLY IN THE BEND! Gap was nowhere near open enough. Pried it open and reset the gap to .035 and now after resetting the air/fuel mix it idols and runs pretty good. I have to adjust the float because it is leaking fuel right out the main when the motor is off. Other than that I’m very happy about the compression increase after fixing the timing and that it has come back to life. Good luck and hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts