Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Quadrunner 500, 2003 Vinson 500, 2007 King Quad 450, 2012 King Quad 750, 2009 Grizzly 700
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have a question about engine rebuilds. If I was going to rebuild an engine on a 1998 Quadrunner 500 with 10,300 miles what all would or should I replace?
It starts good, runs good and drives good.
The engine burns a little bit of oil and then also the valves are ticking a little as well (they were adjusted a month or two ago).
The carburetor was rebuilt last year it works fine.
I'm not to interested in the cost of rebuilding it right now because I'm not going to rebuild it right now this is just so that in the future I have a ruff idea of what I should do to the engine.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
For a proper engine rebuild your essentially looking at replacing the piston/rings along with having the cylinder honed. To better understand the correct process of rebuilding your engine, reading the following will help answer a lot of your questions: Cylinder prep for a rebuild explained - RevZilla

And to properly complete your engine rebuild, it is also a good recommended practice to also do a top end rebuild, especially on a higher mileage engine. So if your engine has a good amount of time on it, there's a chance you may determine that you need to replace your valves, valve springs, and other valve components. Especially if it starts to frequently chatter/tick. The valves on my 300 KQ chatter/tick whenever the engine is cold, but goes away once the engine warms up. It’s done this for the last 6-8 years , but it doesn’t leak or burn any oil so I’m not overly concerned about it. So the overall condition of your valves upon inspection will ultimately determine whether you should do them or not.

·
Registered
1998 Quadrunner 500, 2003 Vinson 500, 2007 King Quad 450, 2012 King Quad 750, 2009 Grizzly 700
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I guarantee that I have to go through the valve train and replace some parts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts