Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the Elka stage 3 shocks on my 2020 King Quad 750 and they are to me, worth every penny! I like slow technical riding as well as faster trails and the stock shocks were way, way, way, too stiff. I tried changing the spring preload which didn't help at all. I went with new tires in hopes of not having to fork over the money for new shocks but they didn't change the ride much either. I had to stand most of the time because I could feel every bump run right up my spine. I had a Polaris XP 850 a few years ago and I loved that suspension so I knew what I was looking for. Even my Can Am Renegade rode well. I have tuned suspensions on motorcycles in the past and I understand the components very well. No matter what I did these shocks weren't going to work.
The rep at Elka said for my type of riding I would be just fine with the cheaper stage 1 setup. I ended up going with more adjustability for a few hundred dollars more but appreciated him not trying to squeeze every penny. I installed this morning and went for a ride shortly after. The biggest thing I noticed was that it was just overall so much more comfortable over the bumps. I was able to sit comfortably while going down trails that in the past I had to stand up on. On the slow trails I went over a few logs and larger bumps and I leaned over and saw the suspension actually moving rather than the whole machine bouncing around. On the faster sections it was so much more composed and felt really stable. If these shocks hadn't worked out the Suzuki was going down the road. Fortunately I'll be riding instead of shopping for a new atv.

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
I just installed the Elka stage 3 shocks on my 2020 King Quad 750 and they are to me, worth every penny! I like slow technical riding as well as faster trails and the stock shocks were way, way, way, too stiff. I tried changing the spring preload which didn't help at all. I went with new tires in hopes of not having to fork over the money for new shocks but they didn't change the ride much either. I had to stand most of the time because I could feel every bump run right up my spine. I had a Polaris XP 850 a few years ago and I loved that suspension so I knew what I was looking for. Even my Can Am Renegade rode well. I have tuned suspensions on motorcycles in the past and I understand the components very well. No matter what I did these shocks weren't going to work.
The rep at Elka said for my type of riding I would be just fine with the cheaper stage 1 setup. I ended up going with more adjustability for a few hundred dollars more but appreciated him not trying to squeeze every penny. I installed this morning and went for a ride shortly after. The biggest thing I noticed was that it was just overall so much more comfortable over the bumps. I was able to sit comfortably while going down trails that in the past I had to stand up on. On the slow trails I went over a few logs and larger bumps and I leaned over and saw the suspension actually moving rather than the whole machine bouncing around. On the faster sections it was so much more composed and felt really stable. If these shocks hadn't worked out the Suzuki was going down the road. Fortunately I'll be riding instead of shopping for a new atv.

Glad it worked out for you. Some people are more demanding, perhaps more sensitive to bumps. Maybe it’s the trail, not the rider. Perhaps the air pressure combined with other factors? I’m not certain. Personally, with over 10k combined miles on a 2006 Vinson, then a 2009 KQ 750 and finally a 2020 KQ 750, I never felt the need for anything other than stock shocks. My son was even good on an Ozark on the same trails. Admittedly, the Vinson with the SRA as apposed to the IRS of the KQ rode firmer, as did the Ozark.

We put on near 200 miles a day at times and were never saddle sore. Maybe I should have held out for better shocks .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder if there are different suppliers for stock shocks. Maybe there's variations in the gas charge or? I know some say their machine rides really plush while others have the experience of being too firm. All I am sure of is my problem is solved🙂

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
I wonder if there are different suppliers for stock shocks. Maybe there's variations in the gas charge or? I know some say their machine rides really plush while others have the experience of being too firm. All I am sure of is my problem is solved🙂
Good question.
Out of curiosity, what tires and pressures were you running?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the Kenda Bear Claws and I have 4 psi in each. Some people said they improved their ride quite a bit. After buying them it's hard for me to picture these tires helping to soften the ride because they are stiffer than the OEM tires I had. I do like the Bear Claws though.

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
I have the Kenda Bear Claws and I have 4 psi in each. Some people said they improved their ride quite a bit. After buying them it's hard for me to picture these tires helping to soften the ride because they are stiffer than the OEM tires I had. I do like the Bear Claws though.
I loved my Bear Claws. I had them on three of my Suzuki‘s. I loved them so much that I was disappointed they didn’t come in a large enough size for my Can Am side by side.

I put Tusk Terrabites on the side by side and like them a lot so far. The Can Am is tough on tires. It is a 172hp , three cylinder intercooler turbo that weighs under 1600#. Lightning on wheels in the dirt, lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do like Can Am, alot! I think they make great products. I bet your ride is wild!!! I was going to get an Outlander but I wanted something for riding tough trails in the mountains where often times slow is better. It might sound strange but the Can Am v-twins confuse me in those situations. They sound so good and have so much power that I want to go faster when that's the opposite of what I need to do. The Suzuki single just pops along and doesn't tempt me into trouble.
I looked at the Tusk Terrabites. If I had to do it again I think I would try them. I don't ride in mud ever, so I think they would be a good fit. Let me know how they wear John, and try to keep that Can Am right side up!

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
I do like Can Am, alot! I think they make great products. I bet your ride is wild!!! I was going to get an Outlander but I wanted something for riding tough trails in the mountains where often times slow is better. It might sound strange but the Can Am v-twins confuse me in those situations. They sound so good and have so much power that I want to go faster when that's the opposite of what I need to do. The Suzuki single just pops along and doesn't tempt me into trouble.
I looked at the Tusk Terrabites. If I had to do it again I think I would try them. I don't ride in mud ever, so I think they would be a good fit. Let me know how they wear John, and try to keep that Can Am right side up!
I am hard on tires. I drive a lot. Often my one day trips are 125-200+ miles. I also drive the Can Am hard with respect to acceleration and cornering. No abusive jumps, no crashes and no lack of maintenance. I over maintain and just use the throttle too much. With all that being said, they are holding up very well. I often find myself on hard paved roads, maxing out the Can Am . The tires look great so far. I will let you know how they look in a few thousand miles. That will be in late October probably.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sweet setup. I am thinking about going with the stage 1. Been getting into trail/resource road riding again. I was wondering if you haul wood with your bike as well. I haul firewood and logs most of the winter with the quad. My concern with going that route with the suspension is would the elka shocks be stiff enough for wood hauling? I noticed they have a menu to pick if you work the bike or trail ride. But like all IRS quads they are not as good handling a load like a SRA. I guess I could say I am wondering if they are a good balance for work and play :).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I absolutely love the thing now! I have not hauled anything with it yet but I'm sure you would have no problem. You spec what type of riding/usage you'll be doing and they build the shocks for that so I don't think you can go wrong. My machine is set for about 1 inch of sag with me on it because I like the ride softer. I have a ton of room to crank the springs down if I ever needed to compensate for a heavy load. The stage 3 comes in handy in that I can also compensate for that load with the compression setting. They're about $400 more but I am glad I went that route.
I think you'll love whatever you get though. HUGE improvement!!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks, I absolutely love the thing now! I have not hauled anything with it yet but I'm sure you would have no problem. You spec what type of riding/usage you'll be doing and they build the shocks for that so I don't think you can go wrong. My machine is set for about 1 inch of sag with me on it because I like the ride softer. I have a ton of room to crank the springs down if I ever needed to compensate for a heavy load. The stage 3 comes in handy in that I can also compensate for that load with the compression setting. They're about $400 more but I am glad I went that route.
I think you'll love whatever you get though. HUGE improvement!!!!
Glad to hear that. I forgot to add, are they able to get rebuilt? They look and from the reviews sound like a big upgrade to the suspension on just about everything!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep they can be rebuilt. Also, I kept the old shocks so if I ever get a different machine I'll put them on the new one. I think as long as shock length is the same or real close they would be adaptable to about any other machine. That helped to ease the pain on the cost a bit. I may not keep the machine for ever but I'll take the shocks to the grave with me lol.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yep they can be rebuilt. Also, I kept the old shocks so if I ever get a different machine I'll put them on the new one. I think as long as shock length is the same or real close they would be adaptable to about any other machine. That helped to ease the pain on the cost a bit. I may not keep the machine for ever but I'll take the shocks to the grave with me lol.
I agree there! Would be my choice also. I intend on keeping the quad for as long as I can. It is a great work machine and also great for touring around the province. It has been reliable and pretty low maintenance aside from basic care like tires, breaks, oils, etc. With the tracks and hauling bob sleighs the suspension doesn't have to work hard like hauling a wood cart. A walking beam would solve this issue for putting too much weight on the rear of the bike with the cart. So I am glad to hear your positive response about the elka shocks. Perhaps my quad maybe getting a upgrade this summer comming!

·
Super Moderator
2020 KingQuad 750
357 Posts
The Suzuki single just pops along and doesn't tempt me into trouble.
This is Exactly Right! One of the reasons ... other than being able to use the utility side of the machine ... that I went to 4 wheels in the woods as opposed to dirt bikin (which I spent most of my life doing) was because these old bones just dont heal up like they used to. I'm afraid another nasty digger on the trail would put me out of commission for good. I still get pretty rowdy on the king (especially when I'm with my buddy), dont get me wrong, but if I had one of those twin 1,000 rippers, I'd be in just as much trouble as if I was still on the dirt bike!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts