Suzuki ATV Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Please keep us updated on your progress. I hope there aren’t too many bumps on the road for you involving these shocks.
I finally got them apart. I think it was mostly the pressure of the spring that made it exceptionally hard to rotate as they spin freely up and down the shaft without any resistance with no spring on. There's so little resistance that a light spray with the hose is enough to rotate the ring from end to end like a windmill. I think there must have been a tiny bit of dirt in there too, because it wasn't quite that hard when brand new.

It would probably have benefitted from being soaked overnight with WD with the spring on but once I get started on something I don't want to give up. The seals also just pressed back in and seem OK (I have a 12t hydraulic press, so that helps).

·
Registered
92 Posts
What a depressing day. Got everything assembled again and spent a couple of hours getting the preload exact on all four corners with the new springs.

I still have the issue.

The new springs have reduced it a little bit, but it's still hard. When I first pushed down on the rear after setting everything up and it barely compressed, my heart sank. Still not even close to being as soft as stock (and stock is too hard IMO, designed for carrying farm equipment etc).

I figured I'd try to narrow it down by ruling out everything else piece by piece. I went over all tyre pressures, 2.3 psi at the rear both sides. Preload is set millimetre perfect on both sides, and the ride height also matches on the left and right rear frame bolts. I've just replaced all suspension bushings, seals, shafts etc when I replaced the shocks, and that's all still perfect with no play or binding. Low speed compression was set on full plush all round.

Here's where it gets interesting. I dropped an anti-roll bar link to see if both sides compress the same (because you can't tell with the link connected, it's designed not to dip one side to prevent body roll). The rear left shock is nice and soft, like the fronts. The rear right is a lot stiffer. A lot. Like the shock is not valved properly or over pressurised or something. I was going to make another video but it started getting dark and I was already in an FML mood so I just walked away

Not sure what I'm going to do about it yet. I'm going to ride it first and see what it's like, but I can't say I'm super keen on having uneven suspension. I'm not doing NASCAR for **** sake.

I'm pleased that Elka sent the new springs and all, good customer service etc, but these shocks are supposed to be the best aren't they? It's like they valved one with oil, and one with sand. Premium, $2000 sand.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oh man, that sucks. Your going to be an expert with these shocks when everything is all said and done. That was a good idea w/ the anti-roll bar. If you could set up another video with your latest efforts I think it would be a wealth of good information for people looking to learn about aftermarket shocks and how they are suppose to work.

I hope you find an end to this disaster.

·
Registered
2017 king quad 750 axi
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I finally got everything together properly and took it for a little ride through the neighborhood. Granted I only was able to ride very little but from what I felt so far I really like them. I’m sure I will make some adjustments accordingly on the trail but as of right now I’m pleased with my purchase and kind of kicking myself for not getting them sooner.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I purchased my Elka stage 3’s towards the end of 9/2020 and I reached out to Darren from ishock recently and was told 2-3 more weeks.

I hope I don’t have the same experience as ITWarrior. I can take the wait, but I dread going through what ITWarrior had to go through.

I hope everything worked out for you ITWarrior
I ordered my shocks on the 4th of September and got them a week and a half ago. There's still hope!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Any updates? Deer season just ended here so now I can get out and ride more. I'm looking forward to it if this old body can handle the cold. Anyone running heated grips? Recommendations?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I put my Elka Stage 3’s on yesterday. I have yet to test them out.
If your 2017 is anything like my 2019 the install will most likely require to to cut away a small portion of both of your front mudguards. Sitting on the machine (back-left) you will have to remove the storage area.

I hope I was helpful.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I finally got to ride all day yesterday on some rough trails and we rode very hard at some points and I'm very happy with these shocks! I need to do some adjustments on the fronts cause they seem a little soft but I have plenty of room to stiffen them up. Overall it's one of the best improvements I've made.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello everyone,

I was able to install my Elka Stage 3’s. However, I was only able to test them out in the snow so far, which was probable not the best conditions to compare such high-end shocks to stock shocks.

I weight 240 and have approx. 20 pounds of gear on my front rack and a winch. I ride at relatively high speeds on rough terrain (rocky, stumps, etc). The tags on my Elka Stage 3’s are listed as having been adjusted to -11 in the front and -20 in the rear for low compression.

I did measure the front and rear ground clearance before and after install. Before install I measured 11 1/2 inches up front and 10 3/4 inches after install. In the rear, I measured 12 1/4 inches clearance before install and after install I measured 11 1/2 inches.

Before I rode on my new shocks, I put some weight on my front end and rear end and found that there was a lot more play compared to my stock shocks. There was so much play with my new shocks that I was concerned that I would do damage to them. Then I figured how much damage could I do to them in snow.

After I rode on my new shocks, I don’t think I did any damage to them, but I did not feel much of a difference between my stock shocks and a new shocks due to the snow. I’m sure I would have felt a difference if it was not for the snow.

I did not do any self-adjustments yet. I want to get any information I can from others that have the same shocks that can help me dial in mine. I fully understand the variables (riding weight and style). It would be greatly appreciated if someone would share their specs with me.

thank you

·
Registered
2017 king quad 750 axi
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Hello everyone,

I was able to install my Elka Stage 3’s. However, I was only able to test them out in the snow so far, which was probable not the best conditions to compare such high-end shocks to stock shocks.

I weight 240 and have approx. 20 pounds of gear on my front rack and a winch. I ride at relatively high speeds on rough terrain (rocky, stumps, etc). The tags on my Elka Stage 3’s are listed as having been adjusted to -11 in the front and -20 in the rear for low compression.

I did measure the front and rear ground clearance before and after install. Before install I measured 11 1/2 inches up front and 10 3/4 inches after install. In the rear, I measured 12 1/4 inches clearance before install and after install I measured 11 1/2 inches.

Before I rode on my new shocks, I put some weight on my front end and rear end and found that there was a lot more play compared to my stock shocks. There was so much play with my new shocks that I was concerned that I would do damage to them. Then I figured how much damage could I do to them in snow.

After I rode on my new shocks, I don’t think I did any damage to them, but I did not feel much of a difference between my stock shocks and a new shocks due to the snow. I’m sure I would have felt a difference if it was not for the snow.

I did not do any self-adjustments yet. I want to get any information I can from others that have the same shocks that can help me dial in mine. I fully understand the variables (riding weight and style). It would be greatly appreciated if someone would share their specs with me.

thank you
I’m in the same boat as you. Mine also came at 20 and 11. I have only done some light snow riding and a little plowing since I installed my shocks. As soon as I get a real ride in I will share my thoughts and adjustments.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I’m in the same boat as you. Mine also came at 20 and 11. I have only done some light snow riding and a little plowing since I installed my shocks. As soon as I get a real ride in I will share my thoughts and adjustments.
Keep me updated and I’ll do the same.

thanks

61 - 72 of 72 Posts