Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ajl719 Thanks for the earlier help, I got it running for Christmas and have been continuously working on it. Now i have an electrical issue.
My problem is it will start and idle great, but after about five minutes of riding it shuts down. no lights, no nothing electrical, cant even jump start it from a truck. let it sit about half an hour and it starts back up for another five minutes or so. I am cleaning the electric connections at the moment
Any help would be appreciated before i go spending any more money. Im thinking it might be the voltage regulator/rectifier.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wahoo, she runs!!!! New rectifier and new gas, a little warm up time and she goes. Still drips gas when running, but not while idling, any ideas? No power to the light connections though, I think it might be the key switch, it only goes to off and on not over to the light position. But she is now mobile.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ajl719 Thanks for the earlier help, I got it running for Christmas and have been continuously working on it. Now i have an electrical issue.
My problem is it will start and idle great, but after about five minutes of riding it shuts down. no lights, no nothing electrical, cant even jump start it from a truck. let it sit about half an hour and it starts back up for another five minutes or so. I am cleaning the electric connections at the moment
Any help would be appreciated before i go spending any more money. Im thinking it might be the voltage regulator/rectifier.
Seems like some wire or electrical connection ( probably a ground ) is expanding and loosing contact from heat when it’s running. Probably a ripped piece of rubber that goes over a wire somewhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems like some wire or electrical connection ( probably a ground ) is expanding and loosing contact from heat when it’s running. Probably a ripped piece of rubber that goes over a wire somewhere.
It was the rectifier, after just 5 minutes of idling it was reaching a temp of 145 degrees F. I replaced it and now most everything works fine, the carb still needs a little refining, I need to either find a replacement ignition switch (it has a 2 position instead of the oem 3 position), or put in a switch for the lights.

·
Super Moderator
8,377 Posts
Well I’m glad to see your making some progress with your quad. Looks like there’s some light at the end of the tunnel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
It was the rectifier, after just 5 minutes of idling it was reaching a temp of 145 degrees F. I replaced it and now most everything works fine, the carb still needs a little refining, I need to either find a replacement ignition switch (it has a 2 position instead of the oem 3 position), or put in a switch for the lights.
Awesome. I don’t know a whole lot about electronics so I went with the simple option. Your leaky gas issue would be an improperly adjusted float, should be level when the carb is upside down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts