Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a 2004 Eiger for sale near me, it's in rough shape but I'm considering buying it to get the disc brake components for my King Quad 300.

Has anyone who has done the conversion used parts from an Eiger?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Take a look at 93kingquad’s page. He did one of these conversions along with some other mods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
I started this conversion but haven't gotten to finish it yet. Eiger hubs will bolt on the stock KQ knuckles, the issue I'm running into is having to make some custom adapter plates to mount calipers. I have a template made, just haven't had time to make them.

What I want to know is if the entire Eiger knuckle will swap over- visually, the KQ and Eiger knuckle look very similar, save for the steer arm being at a higher point on the KQ knuckle. My goal was to buy a cheap knuckle to try this. Basically, my plan is to drill out the taper in the Eiger knuckle, swap the KQ tie rod end to a heim and use a bolt, sleeve and spacer to correct the difference in the steer arm heights.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't understand why someone would go through the trouble for this upgrade. It would be worth it if you were building a race quad, but these things are slugs. I'm not trying to be a troll, I'm just curious.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't understand why someone would go through the trouble for this upgrade. It would be worth it if you were building a race quad, but these things are slugs. I'm not trying to be a troll, I'm just curious.
Though I am doing a full restoration/ upgrade to my KQ, my reasoning was due to the terrain around here. I'm not a mud guy but here in the South it's unavoidable, so I always had fits keeping drum brakes maintained. They were to the point of needing everything internal replaced which was going to be about the same cost as the disk replacement, which is a superior system to drums. I also use my KQ to move trailers around, so the extra stopping power of the disks sure is nice. Its not a swap for everyone, but my needs necessitated it. I plan to do a full write up when I get around to finishing my KQ.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Though I am doing a full restoration/ upgrade to my KQ, my reasoning was due to the terrain around here. I'm not a mud guy but here in the South it's unavoidable, so I always had fits keeping drum brakes maintained. They were to the point of needing everything internal replaced which was going to be about the same cost as the disk replacement, which is a superior system to drums. I also use my KQ to move trailers around, so the extra stopping power of the disks sure is nice. Its not a swap for everyone, but my needs necessitated it. I plan to do a full write up when I get around to finishing my KQ.
You made a good argument for the conversion. I'm fortunate here in the Ozarks, nothing but rock and gravel. Weren't the 2001 300s equipped with disk brakes? I wonder if those would be an easy bolt on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You made a good argument for the conversion. I'm fortunate here in the Ozarks, nothing but rock and gravel. Weren't the 2001 300s equipped with disk brakes? I wonder if those would be an easy bolt on.
If you can find the parts, it is an easy swap. From my research that option was rare.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Disks were options on some models ....but they started front disk in 2002 as standard on 300 KQ

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can't say as i know if it will be a direct bolt on from drum to disk brakes but i rebuild my front drum brakes for just a shade under $20 using parts online from rockauto. 94 GEO metro, all the parts are exactly the same and it saved me a lot of $$$ vs using online ATV parts for my 94.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Couple of reasons. This is a hobby for me and I enjoy making changes that make it a better quad. I don't do a lot of mudding but stream crossings are hard to avoid and the drum brakes are useless when they're wet. Obviously I don't ride fast, it's not possible on a 300, but I look for the gnarliest trails I can find and there are times when I'm really standing on the foot brake because the fronts don't provide much stopping power.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welp, so much for that idea, someone who called before me bought the Eiger.

From what I could see looking at the parts diagrams, the Eiger hubs would bolt right on and obviously the calipers would connect to the brake lines, but the trick is looking like fabricating a bracket to hold the calipers.

The steering knuckles from the Eiger look like a real challenge to put on the KQ. It could probably be done, which would solve the caliper bracket problem but getting the steering arms to connect up in a way that would be durable AND let you turn properly could be an even bigger challenge.

I'd love to hear from someone who has done it though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Couple of reasons. This is a hobby for me and I enjoy making changes that make it a better quad. I don't do a lot of mudding but stream crossings are hard to avoid and the drum brakes are useless when they're wet. Obviously I don't ride fast, it's not possible on a 300, but I look for the gnarliest trails I can find and there are times when I'm really standing on the foot brake because the fronts don't provide much stopping power.
That's all the reason you need. Before I go down a long steep hill, I put it in low, and let the engine do the braking.

·
Registered
834 Posts

The exact reasons I modified the 300 I had. I did a brake
and hub conversion just to name a couple. I just never got to enjoy the conversions because of the engine crapping out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Take a look at 93kingquad’s page. He did one of these conversions along with some other mods

He also recently had the knuckles and disc components for sale. I believe front and rear. I bought quite a bit of stuff from him. Super good guy to deal with. May check if he still has those parts for sale as they are already ready to go.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Welp, so much for that idea, someone who called before me bought the Eiger.

From what I could see looking at the parts diagrams, the Eiger hubs would bolt right on and obviously the calipers would connect to the brake lines, but the trick is looking like fabricating a bracket to hold the calipers.

The steering knuckles from the Eiger look like a real challenge to put on the KQ. It could probably be done, which would solve the caliper bracket problem but getting the steering arms to connect up in a way that would be durable AND let you turn properly could be an even bigger challenge.

I'd love to hear from someone who has done it though.
You hit the nail on the head with why I didn't do an Eiger knuckle swap- durability and correct steering geometry. Snapping a steering arm off on the trail isn't on my 'to-do' list. I hope to have a write up sometime this winter on an Eiger disk swap- I actually ordered some 3/16" steel to cut the brackets out of yesterday. I'd offer the brackets for sale to anyone that wanted some once I got all the kinks worked out. They don't look too difficult to build.

For brake lines, I ran all new soft lines to my calipers only because I had it laying around- If you could find the right fitting, the existing soft line would work.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You hit the nail on the head with why I didn't do an Eiger knuckle swap- durability and correct steering geometry. Snapping a steering arm off on the trail isn't on my 'to-do' list. I hope to have a write up sometime this winter on an Eiger disk swap- I actually ordered some 3/16" steel to cut the brackets out of yesterday. I'd offer the brackets for sale to anyone that wanted some once I got all the kinks worked out. They don't look too difficult to build.

For brake lines, I ran all new soft lines to my calipers only because I had it laying around- If you could find the right fitting, the existing soft line would work.
Have you looked at the Quadrax Honda disc brake kit? It looks like the caliper brackets could be made to fit the King Quad with some work.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts