Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after 2 weeks i just got my eiger back from a repair shop today,and after 400 dollars and a guy who still didn't know what was wrong with it,i brought it back home unfixed.when i took it there it would only run on choke.now after a new battery,air filter,carb kit,new spark plug,and something else i can't remember it will idle great,but,when you push the throttle it dies,after bringing it home,i messed with it,me being a girl dont know a lot about it,i put it on prime and finally was able to push the gas,also can push the throttle with it on reserve.after getting it where i could give it gas and it wouldn't die,i could turn it back off of reserve and back on regular gas and i could give it gas and it didn't die,but,now when i push the throttle it backfires and spits and coughs,lol.any ideas would greatly be appreciated.the guy at the shop said it may be the flywheel,but, i didnt want to keep giving money to someone who didnt know for sure and was just adding parts.he said he was reading forums to try to figure out what may be wrong with it,i can do that.he said the jets in the carb were new.i'm not sure.any help would be greatly appreciated.thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,055 Posts
From what you are describing it almost sounds like your fuel petcock may be at fault. That's the valve you are playing with, the On/Off/Res switch. They operate off vacuum and when they go bad can lead to backfiring, stalling, power loss, etc. So to test the fuel petcock pull the vacuum line (Smaller Line) off at the fuel petcock, if any gas comes out the line or the port where the line was connected then your fuel petcock is at fault and should be replaced.

If that checks out it could still be the carb if it's not adjusted correctly. Lastly, it's possible the magnets may of come off at the flywheel which will disrupt the timing and cause backfiring. The Eiger's are known for their magnets coming off. And welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Khart

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you so much.the fuel petcock is supposed to be new,from what he said.and i believe it may be.but,i will try what you told me.if it is the flywheel will it still idle correctly also.or does it backfire when idling also?thanks so much.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It could be,Plugged jet in the carb, Voltage Regulator, Ignition Coil, Stator, bad ground or other connection in charging/ignition circuit, and possibly but unlikely, a CDI but it IS NOT THE FLYWHEEL!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
What year and model Eiger is it? Mileage? Have you checked the voltage at the battery when idling?
If you don't own a multi-meter, they around $10-$20 (Harbor Freight has a couple for $5) and last forever, if you don't hook it up to a power source when set on ohms. You need to find out the DC voltage at idle and if you can coax it up to half throtle, that reading would help. Just guessing here, but it sounds like your mechanical genius worked on the fuel system, leaving me suspecting electrical. If the voltage is too low, your plug doesn't get enough current when it needs it and can fire late or not at all. Make sense?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help.my brother works on them some,he to said he didn't think it was the flywheel.he thought it may be a jet stopped up also. oldeerslayer it is a 2005-400.we have a harbor freight around here.so i could get the meter you are talking about,also here is a little tidbit of info.after i went outside and looked at it,guess what i realized the mechanic or supposed to be mechanic had it on choke,so in other words it's only running on choke.i can't believe he didn't realize that.when i try to take it off of choke,it dies.so that's why my brother said it sounds like the jets in the carb.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Doesn't sound like you need a multimeter at this point. If it will only run with the choke on, it sounds more like a lack of fuel. What is the temperature there?
If it's below 40°F you probably will need the choke to start it cold. But should be able to gradually turn it down as it warms up until it is completely off. You may also need to adjust the idle speed. It is a knob on the end of a cable coming out of the carb. Is you eiger 2x4 or 4x4 and foot shift or automatic?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it isin the 40's and 50's here.i know where the knob is you are talking about.and it doesnt matter if it is warmed up or not.if you even move it off of choke half way it dies,even after it warms up.it is a 4x4 and its a foot shift.thanks

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Well it is pretty much one of 2 things. Carb or fuel not getting to the carb. Try taking the fuel line off at the carb. Then turn the petcock to prime. Gas should trickle out pretty steady. Best to do this outside and not on asphalt. If it doesn't run out, it's either a plugged line or bad petcock. If it does run out, pretty much has to be carb. I'd recommend a Suzuki dealer to have that repaired. These carbs aren't rocket science, but they are different than automobile carbs from days gone by. So joe fixit probably doesn't understand how they work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all of your help i will get out there and try what you told me about takng the fule line off of the carb.its been either raining or cold here,supposed to warm up toward the end of the week.i can get out there then.he was supposed to have put a kit in the carb,or i payed for it anyway.still acts like one of the jets is stopped up,i remember this happened once before and my brother took the carb off and cleaned the jets and it ran fine.so hopefully soon i can get outside to mess with it.all of this is a learning process for me.i can ride it better than i can work on it.thanks for all of your help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same problem with mine eiger now.. Did you ever find out what the problem was? I am about to rebuild my carburetor also. This thing has been a pain in my a$$... any help would be great..

·
Super Moderator
8,055 Posts
The best solution when you're not sure what the problem is would be to do a process of elimination. Always start with the easiest stuff and work from there. If you suspect it's fuel related pull the plug and look at it's condition. The condition of the spark plug will often tell you how the engine is running based on how much fuel it may or may not be getting. And whatever is causing it could be one of two things, either a faulty fuel petcock or a dirty carb. The easiest of the two to check is the fuel petcock where as the carb you need to tear it apart to see if it's dirty or whatnot.

If it's not a fuel problem then the next step is to check to see if you're getting a solid spark. For this you'll need to pull the spark plug then re-insert in the boot. Now holding the plug from the boot ground the plug to something metal, usually the engine block or frame work best. Now crank the engine using the electric starter while watching for a solid blue spark. If the spark is weak or there is no spark then your having an issue with either the coil or CDI. But before you start throwing money at parts check to see if any of the magnets have come unglued from the flywheel. This is a known problem with the Eigers and this can disrupt the timing of the atv and it will either run very rough or not at all. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
8,055 Posts
And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
check diaphram in top of carb,it may have a hole in it.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Also check for water in fuel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
it is turning off when you press the gas because the carb needs adjustment. try these three things
1. adjust the fuel /air screw under the carb, it is a flathead screw. start with screwing it down all the way and then unscrew it 3 complete turns outwards.
2. adjust the choke throttle cable. there is a small plastic know on the left side that adjusts this . check amnual for factory specs.
3. have carb professionally cleaned and gaskets and o rings replaced at a dealer.

These carbs are very different from vehicles because there are smaller parts and ports and jets that clog up very easy and cause backfiring when dirty, air/fuel mix has to be near perfect and factory.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Thread is over 3 years old.....doubt if you get a response

·
Registered
1 Posts
From what you are describing it almost sounds like your fuel petcock may be at fault. That's the valve you are playing with, the On/Off/Res switch. They operate off vacuum and when they go bad can lead to backfiring, stalling, power loss, etc. So to test the fuel petcock pull the vacuum line (Smaller Line) off at the fuel petcock, if any gas comes out the line or the port where the line was connected then your fuel petcock is at fault and should be replaced.

If that checks out it could still be the carb if it's not adjusted correctly. Lastly, it's possible the magnets may of come off at the flywheel which will disrupt the timing and cause backfiring. The Eiger's are known for their magnets coming off. And welcome to the forum.
Hey there, new to the forum... having same issues, has new upgraded flywheel from rm stator, put new carb on and still doing the same thing if not worse. Thoughts?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts