Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I have an unusual issue with my 2006 Eiger 400. I recently did a few things to improve it (mostly looks). I replaced a few broken covers, replaced the seat cover, replaced the air filter and spark plug. SO HERE IS THE STRANGE PART. After I got everything back together it would crank and idle ok but when I gave it throttle it would die (or try to die) Then I noticed when I was not sitting on it (or if the seat were not locked down completely) that it would throttle much better although not perfect. At first I thought that there may have been excess fabric blocking the air inlet duct, so I trimmed the new cover very close to the staples and tried it again, same issue. Again when I remove the seat it will run although it backfires frequently. I also went so far as to remove the new filter thinking that there was an issue with it. As you can guess I prefer not to ride without the seat or with it backfiring. Any suggestion on what stupid thing I could have done to cause these issues?

·
Registered
44 Posts
If this issue started only after you did all your work then I would start with looking for possibly a wire that got pinched somewhere. When you sit on the seat you are increasing the pressure applied to the possible wire making more resistance in the circuit. I have pinched a wire in between the clutch cover halves on a Kawi 750 once with similar issues as a result. The wire harness for the clutch electrics on the 07's at least ran along the clutch cover seam, it was an easy mistake to make but not so easy to figure out without retracing the steps lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bigfoot. I actually had already run down all wires even remotely close to the seat. It appears to be an air flow issue but I cannot nail down what the issue is. If you apply throttle slowly to get past the point where it is trying to die, it will go up to full throttle. Still looking for a solution

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was just looking at the parts fiche to see the air cleaner setup. It looks relatively solid, there is one screen between the box and tube going to the carb. I would have a peak in there to start if you believe it is an air flow issue. I would also suspect a fuel issue. Try to find a clear pop bottle and drain the float bowl into it. I have seen water drops collect in the float bowls before where when the intake requirements increase the water drops will draw up to the emulsion tube and plug it. This is due to it being heavier than the fuel and with a heavier surface tension it won't pass through any jetting passages so it shuts down fuel flow. Or if you have been using 87 octane fuel you might be experiencing a condition called phase separation. It is due to the ethanol in the fuel nowadays, ethanol breaks down the surface tension of water allowing it be passed through the fuel system more easily. The problem is it grabs onto all forms of water such as if some came through the pumps from the in ground tanks, condensation in the atv tank from having only a half or less full tank and even a high humidity day. As it grabs onto the water it collects in a stagnant layer at the bottom of the tank. If enough of it collects it will at best offer enough octane to allow the machine to idle, but not have enough to give it any real power. And because the ethanol is also a part of the octane rating, when it gets water absorbed and stagnant, it's ethanol count goes to virtually zero so your 87 is now downgraded by the added 10% by volume displayed on the pumps being 8.7 giving you a worst case rating of 78.3 octane or there about.

My old atv had that happen way back in the woods once. Half a tank full and the bottom 1/16 was this nasty watered down ethanol. Couldn't use it for anything, fire won't even consume it lol. It would idle all night but had nothing to give the engine power. If you have any form of this you will need to drain and thoroughly dry your fuel tank, carb and lines. The only real answer is to start using 91 octane but do the research first on the brand. Not all are created equally. In Canada only Shell explicitly promotes NO ETHANOL in their premium 91. I have looked into this at length for all the suppliers in Ontario, not even the Petro Canada ultra 94 is safe, it clearly states on their website that ALL of their blends contain ethanol. Suzuki has it in their owner's manual...at least for my 750...that they recommend 91 and will not warranty fuel system damages caused by lower grade ethanol blended fuels. Food...or fuel..for thought :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Bigfoot. Late yesterday I went back to investigating and found that a vacuum tube was pinched underneath one of the covers. It was just slightly but enough that when pressure was applied through the seat to the cover that it would kill the vacuum air flow and stall the engine. Problem resolved. Thanks for your input !!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts