Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please don't harass me I have used the search button! I know there are countless threads about similar stuff...

Oh the common theme, Eiger 400 no spark! Well I bought an eiger, had no spark, went ahead and replaced the flywheel with the updated one and threw a new stator in it...

Had 3 different CDIs come with it when I bought it. Swapped them out until one worked. Interestingly enough each CDI looked different but I am fairly certain they all came off Eigers. Is there a difference between manual and auto eigers? Had spark. Bought a new carb for it and got it running. Seemed to run good. Shut it off, put away my tools, went back to move it out of the barn. Nothing. No spark. Ordered a new coil because they are cheap. Brand new stator and pickup coil should be good right? Can someone tell me the proper resistance for the pickup coil? The stator had .9 oems on each wire and none of them were grounded so it should be fine... I have several coils laying around. Got a good working on off my Bayou 300. Still no spark. I am guessing a bad CDI?

Will the LTZ400 or DVX400 CDIs work? What about on off an Arctic Cat 400 4x4? (Same exact motor). The eiger CDIs are $650 new. I bought this four wheeler cheap and just wanted to fix it up and ride it for a bit then sell it. I have spent around $800-900 on it so far (bought new tires, new cables, new carb and petcock, some missing plastics etc. and I did this after I knew it had spark and ran) Well now I am seemingly **** outta luck because if I have to buy a $650 CDI I may not even break even if/when I decide to sell it!

One other weird issue I'll throw in... The foot shifter is not springy, does not center itself. The shifter moves freely if disconnected from the motor so it must be internal... Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please don't harass me I have used the search button! I know there are countless threads about similar stuff...

Oh the common theme, Eiger 400 no spark! Well I bought an eiger, had no spark, went ahead and replaced the flywheel with the updated one and threw a new stator in it...

Had 3 different CDIs come with it when I bought it. Swapped them out until one worked. Interestingly enough each CDI looked different but I am fairly certain they all came off Eigers. Is there a difference between manual and auto eigers? Had spark. Bought a new carb for it and got it running. Seemed to run good. Shut it off, put away my tools, went back to move it out of the barn. Nothing. No spark. Ordered a new coil because they are cheap. Brand new stator and pickup coil should be good right? Can someone tell me the proper resistance for the pickup coil? The stator had .9 oems on each wire and none of them were grounded so it should be fine... I have several coils laying around. Got a good working on off my Bayou 300. Still no spark. I am guessing a bad CDI?

Will the LTZ400 or DVX400 CDIs work? What about on off an Arctic Cat 400 4x4? (Same exact motor). The eiger CDIs are $650 new. I bought this four wheeler cheap and just wanted to fix it up and ride it for a bit then sell it. I have spent around $800-900 on it so far (bought new tires, new cables, new carb and petcock, some missing plastics etc. and I did this after I knew it had spark and ran) Well now I am seemingly **** outta luck because if I have to buy a $650 CDI I may not even break even if/when I decide to sell it!

One other weird issue I'll throw in... The foot shifter is not springy, does not center itself. The shifter moves freely if disconnected from the motor so it must be internal... Any thoughts?
Hey, we have a 2004 Suzuki Eiger 4x4 auto and same thing, changed the stator stuff two years ago and it has worked fine. One day I parked it in the garage and the next day it wouldn't start, no spark. Hubby has checked everything he can think of and tested everything and no one seems to have any ideas other than to bring it to them at $100.00 plus an hour so they can plug in parts until they find the issue. That isn't going to happen in our household, so if you come up with some lightbulb of an idea please let me know, thanks. The closest dealer will order one in for us at $800 and change and tax but then this week we stopped to see if they had any spare we could use to try on our machine first and no they didn't and guess what, the price is up over a thousand dollars now. Norah

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, we have a 2004 Suzuki Eiger 4x4 auto and same thing, changed the stator stuff two years ago and it has worked fine. One day I parked it in the garage and the next day it wouldn't start, no spark. Hubby has checked everything he can think of and tested everything and no one seems to have any ideas other than to bring it to them at $100.00 plus an hour so they can plug in parts until they find the issue. That isn't going to happen in our household, so if you come up with some lightbulb of an idea please let me know, thanks. The closest dealer will order one in for us at $800 and change and tax but then this week we stopped to see if they had any spare we could use to try on our machine first and no they didn't and guess what, the price is up over a thousand dollars now. Norah
I am currently suspecting the CDI. Working on finding one to swap over and test I found one online for $150 but there is also a guy about an hour and a half away that has a couple parts 4 wheelers and I think he would be willing to let me swap parts to test.... I replaced the coil, stator, pickup coil, and even the regulator. Also the key was lost and I replaced the switch. I had a honda in the past that had a key switch that appeared to work but made it not have spark. I ordered an extra key switch just in case... However, considering parts are all made in china now, I would not be surprised if my new stator or pickup coil just decided to die. I sure hope that is not the case as I don't particularly want to open up the side of the motor again. One thing I found was to swap the yellow and white wires on the pickup coil plug? Did not work for me but maybe give it a shot...

One thing I would like to know from Eiger experts, are the manual and auto eiger CDI boxes different? Their part number is different and they do not look the same but I want to know if they would be interchangeable...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts