Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kingquad 750
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put on 3.4 klm on my new 2022 KQ 750 at the dealership before bringing it home.

The manual says to use 5w30 oil in temps bellow -10c.

Seeing that I was going to use the quad the next day at -13c, I changed it.

I've never changed such clean oil before...it almost made this grown man cry!

I'd better get me a bucket of popcorn to help me read through the comments that'll follow!!! (I already have a friend that told me that I should have saved the oil to re-use next spring!)

Gramps

·
Administrator
9,802 Posts
The manual is indeed correct. I did this one year on my 300 KQ. My buddy and I decided that we we’re going to play in the snow once winter so I changed the oil to 5w30. We only ever played around 3 times, so I’ve never did it again.

Keep in mind that if you use 5w30 oil it should still meet the JASO-MA requirements. Same if it were 10w40.

·
Super Moderator
1,465 Posts
I play with high performance motors and firmly believe in a first oil change after around 100 miles, or a couple hours of operation.

More contaminates (engine dust, metal shavings, break in lube…) is going to be in that oil in the first 100 miles of operation, than the next 1,000. I change it again around 500 miles.

Forced induction motors (supercharged and turbo) may be even less depending on what was done to the motor.

If you had drained that into a clean container, you would be surprised at what you would see In that oil. Toss it.

Inside an engine is never too clean.

·
Registered
214 Posts
You know what OP? Although not necessary to change the oil so soon you have stumbled into what the serious engine guys do. Immediately change the oil and put in some Shell Rotella t-6. Change the head light bulbs to led if not already there. Also serious atv riders never succumb to temptation.👍

·
Registered
2022 Kingquad 750
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already had some thin motorcycle oil that I use in my Goldwing...and I'd bought it on sale! JASO MA is what the manual asks for because of our wet clutch.

I have opened up new engines before starting them up...I've found plenty of aluminum shavings from the milling process. I know not to re-use oil, even if it only has 3.4 km!

Thank you for pointing out that Rotella makes a 5w30 oil. Around here our regular places only stock 5w40 or sometimes 0w40. It's at double the cost of the Shell oil that I get on sale. I may come off as being cheap, but I do about 25 oil changes a year on all our family vehicles/toys...all with synthetics, so it adds up!

Thanks for your tips and information guys...greatly appreciated.

Gramps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts