Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 King Quad 750
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So, i was getting ready to to do the shim mod and lower roller weight mod. I cleaned this for a while and didnt notice anything. About the time i started to head inside for dinner i took another look and seen this. What might have caused this? Could this be under warranty? It costs around $125 to $135 usd.

edit* this is on my 2020 KQ500

·
Registered
282 Posts
Might be a warranty item couldn't hurt to take it in and ask. When you took the center nut off did you happen put pressure on the fins like I've seen some do to stop the clutch from rotating while removing the nut?

·
Premium Member
2019 King Quad 750
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At first, no, i put the impact gun on the bolt and tried to loosen it without putting my hand on. It just spun, so i put my hand on both sheaves then the bolt came right off. Im going to the suzuki shop today to find out about ordering a new one.

·
Super Moderator
388 Posts
View attachment 20370

So, i was getting ready to to do the shim mod and lower roller weight mod. I cleaned this for a while and didnt notice anything. About the time i started to head inside for dinner i took another look and seen this. What might have caused this? Could this be under warranty? It costs around $125 to $135 usd.

edit* this is on my 2020 KQ500
It is tough to tell from the picture. How deep is that crack? Can you feel it with your fingernail?

·
Premium Member
2019 King Quad 750
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can feel it with my nails, i dont think its too deep though. I still cant figure out how i didnt see it the whole time i was cleaning it. Of course, it may go to show how dirty it was in there.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Besides it being a defect the only other thing I can think of is that the clutch housing got some muddy water in there and the resistance of turning the blades in that caused the problem.

Reactions: drbogger

·
Premium Member
2019 King Quad 750
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fifty, i think you pin pointed the problem. On our ride last w/e my son, who was driving it said at one point when he put it in gear(high) that it didnt want to "go". I got on, felt the same thing, got off and pulled the cvt drain plug. Out came some nasty water, but only about a cup full or so. Put the plug back in and everything seemed ok afterwards. The strange thing is he never went close to going deep enough to flood the cvt. Either way, that is probably what happened. I would think though it would take quite a bit of water though to crack the sheave.

·
Super Moderator
388 Posts
Fifty, i think you pin pointed the problem. On our ride last w/e my son, who was driving it said at one point when he put it in gear(high) that it didnt want to "go". I got on, felt the same thing, got off and pulled the cvt drain plug. Out came some nasty water, but only about a cup full or so. Put the plug back in and everything seemed ok afterwards. The strange thing is he never went close to going deep enough to flood the cvt. Either way, that is probably what happened. I would think though it would take quite a bit of water though to crack the sheave.
Manufacturers struggle with conflicting engineering concepts when making any item that rotates and therefore, consumes power. If we could be a fly on the wall in a design session, I’m sure it would be interesting. Engineer A would want a stronger, higher grade component with more material. Engineer B would want it lighter and show data related to performance.
Then the cost cutters get involved...

All in all, I think Suzuki does an awesome job of walking that fine line and giving us the best of all worlds.

Hopefully this ends well for you.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm curious did you take it in to see what they said about the crack? Maybe they have seen it before and had a idea what caused it on other quads.

·
Premium Member
2019 King Quad 750
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went by the shop on my lunch break. i didnt really have time to do much. he gave me the price of the new sheave and just went ahead and bought it. I may take the old one with me when i pick up the new one and let them look at it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts