Suzuki ATV Forum banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not sure why dyno testing and time was not taken before this product was released. They told me via email by the end of the month starting issues would be fixed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ya i hope!! I'm at bit pissed at them. Might as well sent me all the parts like a model kit

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Not sure why dyno testing and time was not taken before this product was released. They told me via email by the end of the month starting issues would be fixed.
I agree,I was told the vdi would be tested before it was released....not sure why they are throwing a 400 dollar plus part out to the public that apparently has not been properly tested.......

·
Registered
225 Posts
Going to chime back in here now that I have finally had the opportunity to ride me new 2015 KQ 750.

One of the things discussed earlier was regarding the Copperhead making the bike run cooler. Now, I have not ridden a previous model year KQ 750, but I would say mine runs quite cool. When I rode last night, it was 27C (81F) and fairly humid. Unless the KQ has the world's quietest fan, I never heard it kick in. I even got off the bike at one point to see if it was spinning. I was riding primarily in open field so I guess it was getting a lot of air.

Where I am going with this is, that with the changes they made to the 2014s and up for emissions which everyone thought would rob the bike of power but didn't, perhaps they have tuned the newer ones to be more like an older one with a Copperhead to compensate for the power loss of the emissions changes? I can tell you, my bike has no shortage of power and wheelies off the line with only a little body English (and I am 6'2" and weigh 300lbs).

This might explain why they are having troubling tuning an aftermarket ECU for the 2014s and up? Maybe there isn't much left in the engine now?

Just a thought from a forum newb.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Going to chime back in here now that I have finally had the opportunity to ride me new 2015 KQ 750.

One of the things discussed earlier was regarding the Copperhead making the bike run cooler. Now, I have not ridden a previous model year KQ 750, but I would say mine runs quite cool. When I rode last night, it was 27C (81F) and fairly humid. Unless the KQ has the world's quietest fan, I never heard it kick in. I even got off the bike at one point to see if it was spinning. I was riding primarily in open field so I guess it was getting a lot of air.

Where I am going with this is, that with the changes they made to the 2014s and up for emissions which everyone thought would rob the bike of power but didn't, perhaps they have tuned the newer ones to be more like an older one with a Copperhead to compensate for the power loss of the emissions changes? I can tell you, my bike has no shortage of power and wheelies off the line with only a little body English (and I am 6'2" and weigh 300lbs).

This might explain why they are having troubling tuning an aftermarket ECU for the 2014s and up? Maybe there isn't much left in the engine now?

You might be on to something there. When my bike was running with the CH it did have a different sound to it - and there was some more power.

The thing is - I unhooked the CH and put on the factory ecu and I was doing over 97 KM/h on GPS. in reality that is plenty fast. I wish there was a way of getting rid of the rev limiters for the diff lock and reverse without messing with what is really a great machine.

I shipped out the unit last Friday - it only cost $24 to send it express post - plus I paid the shipping to get it here - mine was a "pre production" unit that didn't work and I only get 80% of my costs back. A bit of a piss off but whatever - at least I don't have to mess with the thing anymore and my bike starts.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·

so you dont have any issues with the copper head on you quad......really the machine is not bad at all,i run 26'' tires and all and all it runs good enough,plus i'm just a trail rider anyways........lol but i would still like to have it.

venator555.....did you have to modify under the seat to make it fit.....

·
Registered
739 Posts
Re: Cooler running w/Copperhead, is it true? The King Quad fan operates via a temperature sensor that can be seen on the rear of the top radiator tank. The ECU or Copperhead doesn't control the threshold of this go-no go switch, so if the fan is operating less frequently this is a result of the motor coolant reaching 199*F less often.
(the fan's thermostat is factory set to switch on at 199 and off at 189)
The ECU doesn't tell the fan what to do, the fan responds to actual coolant temperature.

PS: About turning the key back on after a stop, to run the fan. I have seen people do that plenty of times, a group comes to a stop to chat and some of them turn the keys back on and run their fans to get rid of that enemy, heat.
This is a silly excercise. It's one of those things that feels like the right thing to do but in fact is pointless.

The purpose of the cooling system is to keep the motor at Operating Temperature, where it is optimised to run best and experiences the least rate of wear. This temperature is the temperature of the METAL of the motor, not the temperature of the coolant, which is just the meduim to carry heat from one place to another, from the motors metal to the radiator where it will be transferred to the air. Of course, you say. We know that! :)

But when you shut off the quad, the motor stops generating heat. No more heat being made. No more fire. But the coolant that was circulating was not AT the temperature of the hottest parts of the motor, that's why there is heat transfer.
So as soon as you shut it off and the coolant
stops circulating, the coolant starts getting hotter. (note: the motor is not getting hotter, just the coolant)
If the key is left on, the fan will probably start to run because the fan thermostat registers the increased heat of the coolant. But the motor is not getting any hotter, in fact it is getting cooler! The fire's out, no more new heat.
Running the fan at this time will not only accomplish little or nothing because the coolant is no longer circulating (the fan only cools the radiator), but making heroic efforts to bring the motor down from operating temperature only means the motor will have to work to get back up to operating temperature next time you start it. :D

So when you turn on the key and soon the fan begins to run, that's just the motor transfering its residual heat to the coolant. If your car has thermostatically controlled electric rad fans I'm sure it does that too. Situation normal, no action needed.
But after-cooling is probably a feel-good thing. Bonding with the machine, careing for it like currying a horse after a hard ride.
:wink:

·
Registered
225 Posts
so you dont have any issues with the copper head on you quad......really the machine is not bad at all,i run 26'' tires and all and all it runs good enough,plus i'm just a trail rider anyways........lol but i would still like to have it.

venator555.....did you have to modify under the seat to make it fit.....

Sorry, I think there is a misunderstanding. My bike is completely stock except for a tire upgrade and UNI filter.

My point is that I believe that perhaps Suzuki has built in the tuning that the CH provides for the older models, excluding the rev limiters.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Could Suzuki have improved the overall tune of the 15 bikes sure. Either way every company out there has the possibility to improve on the bikes tune. AFR, timing, duration etc...

Velocity prematurely released the tuner. They 100% have improved it in some areas as they are seeing a 4 horsepower increase across the band. They however did not do the R&D to figure out the starting issue.

When it comes to the bikes running cooler. If this is a talked about issue/subject I am sure they are aware of. Would be nice for them to chime in and give their reports on egts whether or not they have improved or not.

You can always improve upon its current state. If you couldn't the aftermarket tuning industry would not exist.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Could Suzuki have improved the overall tune of the 15 bikes sure. Either way every company out there has the possibility to improve on the bikes tune. AFR, timing, duration etc...

Velocity prematurely released the tuner. They 100% have improved it in some areas as they are seeing a 4 horsepower increase across the band. They however did not do the R&D to figure out the starting issue.

When it comes to the bikes running cooler. If this is a talked about issue/subject I am sure they are aware of. Would be nice for them to chime in and give their reports on egts whether or not they have improved or not.

You can always improve upon its current state. If you couldn't the aftermarket tuning industry would not exist.
I would love for velocity to chime in and give reports.:)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Sorry, I think there is a misunderstanding. My bike is completely stock except for a tire upgrade and UNI filter.

My point is that I believe that perhaps Suzuki has built in the tuning that the CH provides for the older models, excluding the rev limiters.
Same here my 2014 is all stock also,except for 26'' tires and a UNI Filter.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I was just on velocity's web site and they now have the VDI listed for the 2014 and up king quad.....450 dollars

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
That's probably the one that I returned. They can't sell it as new - I got 80% of my money back.
DiggerBudrow,the lady at velocity tol me last month since i live in the U.S she said my price would be around 430 dollars.

·
Registered
104 Posts
So they increased the price of a tuner that has not proven itself to work fully??

61 - 80 of 93 Posts