Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone or know of anyone that has tried a copper head ECU on the 750 KQ,I have been doing some reading on it and it sure does have a great write up about,it is not a piggy back system,it is a plug and play system that replaces the stock ECU,it has two sides to it,it has a toggle switch labeled 1 and 2 setting 1 is the stock mode and setting 2 is the performance mode,in the performance mode they said from idle to part throttle there is a 20% power increase and from part throttle to wide open there is a 40% power gain,and it does away with the limiters..the price is close to 500 hundred dollars,need some opinions if there is a 40% power increase it would be worth it.????????

·
Registered
317 Posts
Im buying one. U spend 300 om a ezhaust and it just makes it louder with minimal gains. The copper head is the best increase for your dollar imo

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But d
They dont have one for the 14 model yet suzuki changed the wiring on the 14's
Thanks for the info,i noticed they dont list one for the 2014,I heard for the different weather changes you have to re-map it thats another 120 dollars to buy the memory card to plug into your computer.not sure if i want to fool with that...............

·
Registered
317 Posts
No u dont have to remap for weather change that I know of. Ill have to check that out and get back with ya om that part

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No u dont have to remap for weather change that I know of. Ill have to check that out and get back with ya om that part
Yea find out if you have too,I'm ready to pull the trigger as soon as I can get one,a friend of mine put one on a 700 king Quad,and he said it brought it to life,but when it got real cold out his machine started running like crap,so he called the company and they told him he would have to re-map it for cold weather,so he sold his and put the stock ECU back on it,this was back in 2006.and he paid 475 dollars for it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got a call from velocity on the copper head ECU,and they have not built one yet for the 2014 king quad,because the wiring harness is different,she said they are in the process of building one,and testing it,she said there is a chance that it might not make a difference,but testing will tell................where on the king quad is the tag showing what year it is.........all i can find is the serial number,my hondas has a tag on the front frame rail i even looked under the seat.she also you would not have to re-map it for different temp changes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just got a call from velocity on the copper head ECU,and they have not built one yet for the 2014 king quad,because the wiring harness is different,she said they are in the process of building one,and testing it,she said there is a chance that it might not make a difference,but testing will tell................where on the king quad is the tag showing what year it is.........all i can find is the serial number,my hondas has a tag on the front frame rail i even looked under the seat.she also you would not have to re-map it for different temp changes.
Yeah I was bummed to find that they don't make a ecu for our year of machine.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just a fyi the 700 had a problem in the cold the 750 dose not no need to go back to stock setting s in the cold. Also I have a guys number for a used vdi and m109 injector for 300 shipped u will need to send the ecu to vdi still gor a new map or buy there interface (id recommend) was gonna buy this one for myself but unexpected bills

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well I hope they get one made soon. I'm not sure why she told you it might not make a difference? It's the same motor with minor tweaks for fuel mileage. But anyways, in watching a review of the Copperhead, Atvtelevisions Doug Meyer says it makes a huge difference, and makes the King feel close to a Brute!?!? If that's the case I can't wait.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I hope they get one made soon. I'm not sure why she told you it might not make a difference? It's the same motor with minor tweaks for fuel mileage. But anyways, in watching a review of the Copperhead, Atvtelevisions Doug Meyer says it makes a huge difference, and makes the King feel close to a Brute!?!? If that's the case I can't wait.
Yes I hope They do too,She was telling me they made one for the rhino and it only increased the power by 2%.since the 2014 and 2015 is pretty much the same machine maybe they will get on it soon ,she told me they have located a 2014 machine,and it will be a matter of changing connections and testing.she also told me it will be mapped for all weather changing conditions and elevations.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2014 750 and I just got a Copperhead for it. Required a little modification under the seat to get it to fit right... or well to fit to my liking.

The map isn't perfect yet - but I can lift my wheels over a foot off the ground even with 15 litres of gas on my front rack.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a 2014 750 and I just got a Copperhead for it. Required a little modification under the seat to get it to fit right... or well to fit to my liking.

The map isn't perfect yet - but I can lift my wheels over a foot off the ground even with 15 litres of gas on my front rack.
What all did you have to do under the seat,I know my winch wires take up a lot of room,did you just get the velocity ecu or did you get the programmer also.with the map not correct yet what is the machine doing

do you think its worth the money........

·
Registered
317 Posts
The 14 have a different plug. Not calling bs on ya but look at the cylinder head see how many spark plugs ya got. If it is a 14 guys are gonna want to know

·
Registered
293 Posts
The Velocity website appears to have a unit for the 2014+. Shows maps for it. I don't think there cranking them out yet tho. Wonder if there doing limited sales so they can get feedback and work on the bugs??????

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The Velocity website appears to have a unit for the 2014+. Shows maps for it. I don't think there cranking them out yet tho. Wonder if there doing limited sales so they can get feedback and work on the bugs??????
I talked to velocity on the phone the ECU's are already in production and shipped out for the 2014 models,they are waiting on more cases to be shipped to them,and yes they are a 3 row prong plug,and the second plug on the 2014's are for emissions,so really all they had to do was change the plug in,and the ones they have shipped out they are waiting on feed back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What all did you have to do under the seat,I know my winch wires take up a lot of room,did you just get the velocity ecu or did you get the programmer also.with the map not correct yet what is the machine doing

do you think its worth the money........

In the instructions it showed lifting the fuse block and routing the wires around the ECU. There was not enough slack in the wires to route them without having them chafe on the edge of the unit and the seat wouldn't go on very well.

We (I had a friend help me) cut the tabs for the old ECU, and we had to cut some plastic (top right corner there is a bump) and then cut a slot to get the bottom of the CH to slide into. Could have just been an issue with my machine - I didn't want to cut plastic but I wanted it to work.

I emailed Velocity Devices last August after I bought my KQ to see if the 2013 ECU would fit and they said no. They emailed me about 3 weeks ago and said they had one for the 2014 and when I bought it they included the programmer at no additional cost. Even if you have to pay for it - GET THE PROGRAMMER.

I know right now the map is not perfect - but I work in customer service, and the folks at Velocity Devices are A1! Lyle is working on a new map for me.

I find it's hard starting and it bogs when you snap the throttle from a dead stop. Now when I feathered the throttle a little to get it rolling and then snapped it I pulled my front tires off the ground with ease and 15 lbs of gas on my front rack!

I haven't been out on a good run with it yet - but I'm hoping to change that tonight!

I had a BF650 and sold it when I got the KQ. Overall the KQ is a much better machine but I missed the low end torque of the BF. I'm hoping the CopperHead will change that.

Worth the money? Let me get back to you on that one. Once the maps are ironed out and if it does what I want (increase my bottom end torque) then I would say yes.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In the instructions it showed lifting the fuse block and routing the wires around the ECU. There was not enough slack in the wires to route them without having them chafe on the edge of the unit and the seat wouldn't go on very well.

We (I had a friend help me) cut the tabs for the old ECU, and we had to cut some plastic (top right corner there is a bump) and then cut a slot to get the bottom of the CH to slide into. Could have just been an issue with my machine - I didn't want to cut plastic but I wanted it to work.

I emailed Velocity Devices last August after I bought my KQ to see if the 2013 ECU would fit and they said no. They emailed me about 3 weeks ago and said they had one for the 2014 and when I bought it they included the programmer at no additional cost. Even if you have to pay for it - GET THE PROGRAMMER.

I know right now the map is not perfect - but I work in customer service, and the folks at Velocity Devices are A1! Lyle is working on a new map for me.

I find it's hard starting and it bogs when you snap the throttle from a dead stop. Now when I feathered the throttle a little to get it rolling and then snapped it I pulled my front tires off the ground with ease and 15 lbs of gas on my front rack!

I haven't been out on a good run with it yet - but I'm hoping to change that tonight!

I had a BF650 and sold it when I got the KQ. Overall the KQ is a much better machine but I missed the low end torque of the BF. I'm hoping the CopperHead will change that.

Worth the money? Let me get back to you on that one. Once the maps are ironed out and if it does what I want (increase my bottom end torque) then I would say yes.
cool keep in touch..............:)

·
Registered
293 Posts

1 - 20 of 93 Posts