Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we are getting into cold weather, I've noticed my KQ 700 ('05) wants to be a bit reluctant to start.

This will be my first winter with one, . . . and I wanted to know for sure if there were any tips / tricks / hacks I could do that would do two things: make it start reliably, . . . and not hurt the engine.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Super Moderator
7,310 Posts
Since your Atv is carbureted, it’ll most likely be cold blooded to get going. Like my 300, patience is all you can do. In cold temps I normally choke it first (Enrichner). I’ll choke it about 3/4 full first, start the engine, then adjust it as I go till is starts idling slightly rough, then back the choke off fully and apply slight throttle till it’ll idle in it’s own. I then normally leave it idle about 5 minutes before I start riding. So again, the carbureted engines on these atv’s require patience when cold. It’s just the nature of the beast. So speeding or expediting the warm up procedure really isn’t much of an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually mine has electronic fuel injection, . . . so there is no choke, . . . at least none I could find.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
183 Posts
Definitely EFI...even says so on the sticker on the side :)

The KQ (I've got an 05) is very sensitive to battery health and clean connections at the battery...

also the trick (technique) for starting the EFI KQ in cold weather is simple... turn the key to run (don't start it)... let the fuel pump run the pressure up till you hear the pump stop (buzz from fuel tank).. then turn key .....off then..... on immediately.... let the pump run again (it runs every time you cycle the key) when the pump stops buzzing hit start... works for me at a zillion below.

I learned this years ago from another KQ owner here in frozen Canukistan

·
Super Moderator
7,310 Posts

The KQ (I've got an 05) is very sensitive to battery health and clean connections at the battery...

also the trick (technique) for starting the EFI KQ in cold weather is simple... turn the key to run (don't start it)... let the fuel pump run the pressure up till you hear the pump stop (buzz from fuel tank).. then turn key .....off then..... on immediately.... let the pump run again (it runs every time you cycle the key) when the pump stops buzzing hit start... works for me at a zillion below.

Well I guess part websites are inaccurate regarding these bikes. Cause they list them as carbureted when I search the parts fiches. So I don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I'm well up on the battery thing, . . . learned that earlier this year, . . . so I keep an eye on that.

But the trick with the key I had not thought of, . . . thank you, my friend. We plan to use it for snow removal at our church, . . . and waiting for spring and it to start might not get the job done.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm happy to help when I can..I've had my 05 KQ since 05 and now have 14000 almost trouible free km on it... I changed the belt last week just cause I got a smoking deal from a parts place in Edmonton... almost new belt on FleaBay for $40 (OEM)... I was happy to pay it...

I plow a lot with mine and have a 60" Moose County plow... its plowed about 4000 or more km of roads here and I've been really hard on it...fortunately I can weld and have saved the frame several times by welding the seems back together... the plow is awesome but I've done waaaaaaaay more with it than the Moose people thought any homeowner would do...

also BIG HELP when plowing is CHAINS on all four corners... and crazily enuf...chains work best on worn out tires...otherwise the chains get lost in the deep grooves of newish tires...on a worn out tire (my originals) they ride on the surface and grip excellent... be careful to keep the chains TIGHT... other wise when you get going 30-or more kmph they expand and beat up the frame and plastic... the trick is to deflate the tire...put them on as tight as possible and then re-inflate the tire...like a balloon it strains against the chains..I run 15 psi in the winter and the chains are tight and don't move...

:)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm well up on the battery thing, . . . learned that earlier this year, . . . so I keep an eye on that.

But the trick with the key I had not thought of, . . . thank you, my friend. We plan to use it for snow removal at our church, . . . and waiting for spring and it to start might not get the job done.

May God bless,
Dwight
Speaking of the battery and I'm sure you already know, but I also learned years ago that keeping a battery maintainer hooked up have been a longer life of my ATV batteries. One in particular I remember was I bought a new 2001 Honda Rancher in the fall of 2000 and kept a Battery Tender jr maintainer on it while not in use and that original oem battery lasted 9 years, I think I got lucky on that one. :big-grin

Tony

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got the chains on...next is the plow
You have a lot more "stuff" on yours than I have, . . . but your back seat is just about the exact same as one I picked up last week for $25 from a buddy. He bought from another guy who had it, . . . neither one ever did put in on their quads, . . . just stuck it in the garage in the cardboard box.

I did get it out of the box at least.

Next thing is to get the plow "created", . . . start either next week or the week after. Got one that was off some kind of tractor, . . . but looks like an easy switch to the quad.

Thanks again for the chain idea. Gonna have to do that as well.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
84 Posts
I used the 2 switch turning trick before starting my 2018 KQ750 this week end and it work perfectly.

I use a battery tender with a timer which recharge the battery 5 hours per day all winter long. I do not use my quad in winter.

So far, so good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts