Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '01 250 4x4 that I recently got running again. When riding, the transmission slips for a second (hesitates, shudders) before fully engaging. Its more noticeable in higher gears and when shifting at higher RPM. I've also noticed slippage when turning hard and applying throttle. I'm not familiar with this quads clutch system. Could this be a centrifugal clutch issue? I just changed the oil to a motorcycle grade oil but not Suzuki brand oil. Not sure if that could be causing this?

·
Super Moderator
8,265 Posts
The slippage could be caused by 3 things. The first possibility is that the clutch is shot and needs to be replaced. One reason this could happen is using the wrong oil. If the previous owner used a standard 10w40 engine oil for many years, this can lead to premature clutch wear. Using a motorcycle oil that is JASO-MA approved is what you should be using. These oils are specifically deigned for use with the wet clutch in your atv. However, if your atv is showing signs of slipping. Then all it may need is a clutch adjustment. So try adjusting the clutch first and go from there. Bellow is a link to a thread on the forum by former Moderator named Tubbytubb, (A.K.A Thomas). It explains on how to adjust the clutch. Keep in mind there use to be a image within the thread. But the file sharing site it was on closed therefore the image isn’t available. And Thomas hasn’t been active on the Forum for quite some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ajl719. I will take a look. I'm pretty sure the previous owner used motorcycle oil and not standard motor oil but can't confirm. Hopefully the adjustment is all that's needed. I've never owned a ATV with a centrifugal clutch. It was really strange when I was performing zig-zag maneuvers and could feel the engine shudder and rpm increase without changing the throttle position.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts