Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to forum and just picked up a 2003 Eiger 400 manual shift. When I got it, it was extremely hard to shift up. I opened the cover for the clutch adjustments and found the larger jamming nut had come loose and the set screw had backed out. Not sure how long the bike was run like this from previous owner. I loosed both jam nuts and turned the front larger screw in until I felt resistance and then backed of 1/8th of a turn and re-tightened jamming nuts. Now it shifts up much easier but I have to give it a little burp of throttle everytime I shift up or down. If I try to shift completely off throttle its still really hard or wont at all sometimes.
So my question is what needs to be replaced? Should I get a clutch kit with springs and plates or do I need new shoes? Been reading up on it and not sure what would be causing my problems. Thanks for any info

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also to add sometimes when I tap the throttle to downshift it does but the shifter will stay stuck down for a couple seconds before it pops back up into normal position. Any ideas??

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 2017 KingQuad 400 with the foot shift. It is kinda the same way. There are times I have to blip the throttle to get it to shift. Been like that since new. I think it's just the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh really, ok well I might just try replacing the plates to see if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If it's not slipping I don't think a clutch will make a difference. You have to remember there's a lot of moving parts that cause's drag. My friend has a rancher 4x4 and it shifts smoother cuz it's a single speed transmission. Ours with the extra subtransmission puts extra load on our gears

1 - 5 of 5 Posts