Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Eiger 400 Auto
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks. Picked up this 05 with 665 miles on it Sunday. The kids put about two miles on it, riding circles in the yard. It ran great and all seemed to be well!

20210228_094652.jpg

20210228_115811.jpg

That evening we washed it off and put it in the shop. After supper I took the manual out there and sat down with it to start familiarizing myself with the machine and do some of the checks.

It was going good, no big issues till I pulled the engine covers to check hoses and drains. Then I spotted this.

20210228_170226.jpg

Further investigation revealed that there had been a small fire at some point and the main harness was damaged where it connects to the handle bar controls.

20210228_170208.jpg

I contacted the guy I got it from and he straight up told me to bring it back for my money. I thought that was pretty stand up of him but my curiosity had already gotten the better of me so I pulled the rest of the front end off and determined that the damage was isolated to just the main harness. He price checked a new harness and refunded me twice that amount for my trouble.

So I ordered a new harness and some other pieces it could use that aren't related to that damage and have been spending my evenings doing fluid changes and maintenance checks so it's ready to slap the new harness on and ride once it arrives.

·
Registered
2005 Eiger 400 Auto
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So here's how it sits right now.

20210301_184358.jpg

I've changed the oil in both final drives, twice. The first 80w90 I put in has been in my shop a while and has gotten really brown, I guess from moisture intrusion. So yesterday I picked up a couple quarts of Valvoline 75w90 synthetic and changed them both again.

I replaced the vent tube on the fan but I haven't found a good routing for it in the manual. I guess I'll just have to try to get it up where it'll be dry and clean. The proper size Tygon tubing is hard to find in this little town. I would imagine it's a meteric size around 3/16" ID but all anyone keeps is 1/8" and 1/4". I held the end over my propane heater for a second and put a touch of gear oil on the nipple on the fan and it pushed right up on and got TIGHT when it cooled, so that's not going anywhere.

FB_IMG_1614860931572.jpg

The bike came with the dealer installed Warn 2.5ci winch. It seemed to be in good shape but being 15 years old, I figured it was worth a tear down. My oldest daughter tore it down while I was removing the body. Internally it's in good shape. Gonna clean it up and put in some fresh grease. The Aeroshell 64 grease Warn specs for it is PRICY but I've read about freespool and clutch issues if you use the heavier wheel bearing viscosity grease. I also ordered new drum bushings. They weren't BAD, but they showed signs of wear so while it's apart, another $30 in parts for another 20 years of use on a $200 winch seems to be a safe bet.

·
Super Moderator
8,708 Posts
Congrats on the 400. I’m sure you and the kids will love it. And you definitely got lucky that the guy who sold you the bike was so forthcoming and willing to refund you. And even willing to buy back the atv and fully reimburse you. There aren’t to many honest people in this world anymore. So to have such honesty and admitting something happened is stand up for sure. When I was younger, it seemed people were way more honest then in today’s society. Back in the day, if you were involved in a minor fender bender. People would stick around and offer up to pay the repair bill or settle on a certain cash amount. Now in this day in age that isn’t the case any longer.

With the rising cost of insurance almost annually, the honesty seems to have flown out the window. Hit and runs now seem more of a common occurrence. And I was a victim of the very thing about 5-6 years ago. I was at work and a truck backed up right into the rear door off my car and just sped off. It was infuriating. And to make matters worse they were caught red handed on one of the stores surveillance cameras. But because you couldn’t see the license plate, the police couldn’t do anything.

And the same thing goes when buying things from others such as atvs, cars, electronics, etc. Some people are honest, and some aren’t. It’s the ones who don’t divulge all the specifics when selling something that ends up hurting the buyer. And most are quick to take the money and run even if they know their not being completely honest. So to have this seller be so honest with you and willing to refund you is great to hear. Gives you hope that there are still some honest people left in this world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TerryD

·
Registered
2005 Eiger 400 Auto
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The guy was straight with me when I got it. He said he buys and sells them and this one was in really good shape and ran well so he didn't really look into it. I didn't see the damage till I starting pulling the plastics and it was a little dirty so I think he honestly didn't know about it.

Folks are crooked these days, no doubt. I got taken on a Sears lawn tractor a few years ago I bought in a hurry. My fault and I was able to sell it to someone who I informed of the issues.

The kids are already wanting me to get another ATV now and I haven't even gotten this one back going yet. A guy at work has offered me a derelict Bayou 220 4x2 that I might grab and see if I can get it going for the teenager. Then I'll only need 2 more. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2005 Eiger 400 Auto
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Some of my parts started showing up today. A bunch of little fasteners and small parts in this order.

My middle daughter came out to the shop with me and we changed the brake fluid and checked the front brake pads. Then we put on a new front hub cap and changed the engine oil.

I also sat down and started separating the bolts into labeled baggies so I don't forget where they go.

If we get a warm day this weekend, I'll try to drag it outside and pressure wash it and the plastics really well. Then it should be ready to reassemble as soon as the harness arrives.

·
Registered
2005 Eiger 400 Auto
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been replacing the rear diff cover gasket on my Xterra today. While they parts were draining and drying I took a minute and fixed the rear box on the Zook.

Not elegant, but functional and $9 is easier to swallow than $130 for a new box.

20210306_131953.jpg

·
Super Moderator
8,708 Posts
I payed $30 for just the lid when I had lost my original. $30 freaking dollars for a stupid lid. Talk about highway robbery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TerryD

·
Registered
2005 Eiger 400 Auto
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm surprised how flimsy it is put together. Unless the box gets destroyed, I shouldn't have any other issues with it now.

·
Registered
2005 Eiger 400 Auto
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried to clean the air filter today and all the seams busted on it. Guess it was done for. Ordered another filter and the power port on the fender where the fire had ruined the plug on the back.

I'm anxious to see this thing going again!! I'm ready to hit the trails already!

·
Registered
2005 Eiger 400 Auto
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got it pressure washed Monday evening.

Today we installed a receiver hitch and a few other little things.

I also got confirmation the wiring harness shipped today. So hopefully by next weekend I'll be riding it again!

·
Registered
2005 Eiger 400 Auto
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Installed a Koplin receiver hitch last night. Looks like it's going to work out well.

Also put in a new air filter and reassembled the winch tonight.

The harness should be here Wednesday, and hopefully this thing should be running by next weekend!

·
Registered
2005 Eiger 400 Auto
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welded a new tab on the frame where it was broke off on the left side.

Tomorrow the harness should be here so hopefully this beast will be back together this weekend so I can play with it some!

·
Registered
2005 Eiger 400 Auto
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the Eiger back together and then started on a Kawaski Bayou 220 with my kids.

We finally got to go riding last weekend. We did about 18 miles in 4 hours. The Eiger did awesome. It ran great all day.

The Kawasaki did great too for a much work as we've done to it. It smoked some but didn't miss a beat.

I do have a question. The Eiger's fan was constantly coming on. It's 10w40 a good choice for motor oil with the low speeds and crawling around our would something heavier be better?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts