Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Vinson 500 Auto 4x4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a snorkel on my Vinson 500 going from 1.5” to a 2” pvc and I had to restrict the air flow on the snorkel. Is there anyway I can adjust the carb so I don’t have to restrict the air flow or does it have to work as is? It does have OEM carb on it if that makes a difference.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Automotive tire Hood Tread Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Super Moderator
1,195 Posts
I put a snorkel on my Vinson 500 going from 1.5” to a 2” pvc and I had to restrict the air flow on the snorkel. Is there anyway I can adjust the carb so I don’t have to restrict the air flow or does it have to work as is? It does have OEM carb on it if that makes a difference. View attachment 21681
View attachment 21682
Welcome to the forum.

Snorkels change the dynamics of the incoming air charge. If you need to restrict airflow before the carb to make the engine run properly, you are running lean. I don’t know how well you know your carburetor, but you are about to become intimately aware of its inner workings.

Rejetting after a snorkel is going to be a trial and error dance. You will need to increase your jet size incrementally until it runs better, read your spark plug and tune from there.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2003 Vinson 500 Auto 4x4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Snorkels change the dynamics of the incoming air charge. If you need to restrict airflow before the carb to make the engine run properly, you are running lean. I don’t know how well you know your carburetor, but you are about to become intimately aware of its inner workings.

Rejetting after a snorkel is going to be a trial and error dance. You will need to increase your jet size incrementally until it runs better, read your spark plug and tune from there.

Good luck with it.
What’s the best way to go about re jetting? Drilling out the jets or buy some that are pre jetted?

·
Super Moderator
1,195 Posts
What’s the best way to go about re jetting? Drilling out the jets or buy some that are pre jetted?
I would not consider drilling out jets. The precision you need with a carb jet can’t be properly achieved by drilling. Also, jetting is like a dance. There may be a back and forth to it. If you have drilled, you loose the “back” option.

Are you intending to run your machine in deep water? If not, the easiest thing to do is reverse the snorkel.

BTW, don’t forget to waterproof the rest of the machine if your going to play submarine commander with it. Get to every electrical connection also.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Try Raise the metering rod 1 groove. This is free and reversable. This will richen it up throughout (other than idle). Do not drill out a jet. Just buy new ones for precise jetting. Put into basic terms, Main jet richens half throttle and up. Pilot jet half throttle and down. Keep a close eye on your plug burn.

·
Registered
2003 Vinson 500 Auto 4x4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would not consider drilling out jets. The precision you need with a carb jet can’t be properly achieved by drilling. Also, jetting is like a dance. There may be a back and forth to it. If you have drilled, you loose the “back” option.

Are you intending to run your machine in deep water? If not, the easiest thing to do is reverse the snorkel.

BTW, don’t forget to waterproof the rest of the machine if your going to play submarine commander with it. Get to every electrical connection also.
That’s been done already and it’s been to the deeps a time or two already!

·
Registered
2003 Vinson 500 Auto 4x4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try Raise the metering rod 1 groove. This is free and reversable. This will richen it up throughout (other than idle). Do not drill out a jet. Just buy new ones for precise jetting. Put into basic terms, Main jet richens half throttle and up. Pilot jet half throttle and down. Keep a close eye on your plug burn.
If I remember correctly there aren’t any adjustment notches on the rod.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeah 5 notches or so. Just don't drop that little &?(&$&**() c clip.
So are you having air flow problems with the current set up ? If you need more make up air for your air fuel mixture. Maybe use a bigger pipe or as wrote. Turn the elbows around n have a ram air system.

·
Registered
2003 Vinson 500 Auto 4x4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah 5 notches or so. Just don't drop that little &?(&$&**() c clip.
So are you having air flow problems with the current set up ? If you need more make up air for your air fuel mixture. Maybe use a bigger pipe or as wrote. Turn the elbows around n have a ram air system.
I think it’s running a bit lean because the motor can idle for 10 minutes and my temp lights comes on which it has never done before. When you get on it wide open sometimes it’ll bog down and then it will take off.

·
Registered
2003 Vinson 500 Auto 4x4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This one is stumping me. The hose that is circled is giving me problems when it is on the petpock it’ll idle great but die if you give it the slightest amount of throttle. When it’s off if has a high idle but revs like it should. Any ideas???
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Wheel Tread

·
Registered
2003 Vinson 500 Auto 4x4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This one is stumping me. The hose that is circled is giving me problems when it is on the petpock it’ll idle great but die if you give it the slightest amount of throttle. When it’s off if has a high idle but revs like it should. Any ideas??? View attachment 21688

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.