Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning,
1991 LT250m quadrunner
Brought it back from daughters after it sat for many years. Cleaned the carb, drained the gas put new in.
I did not know the proper turns out for the main metering screw. on the carb bottom. I did 3 turns
The old gas smelled good but had turned amber in color vs the new kind of greenish.
Anyway it would start and run fine up to a certain rpm then would spit and sputter and not revv higher. ran great down low.
Took off the air filter box and the rear connecting tube and turned in the metering screw where it is now at 2 turns out.
NOW with it warm it will rev up fine and seems real peppy (with the airbox disconnected; I had just used a piece of packaging foam as a filter element (too restrictive)) BUT
as the rpms are increasing a cloud of unvaporized fuel exits the rear of the carb and is sucked back into the carb until the venturi piston(?) rises.
I am not a motorcycle guy so is that normal or do I have a different problem. I do not think the fuel spurting backwards would reach the air filter element and a filter is on order.

Or is there something else I should check.
regards gary

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She runs like a bear now!
I thought about that bottom needle valve so i pulled
the airbox and pulled the carb ...finally ended up with it 2 1/2 turns out
and she screams now. had to pull the carb on and off a couple times to get
the screw adjustment just right. too far out and it doesn't want to idle. throttles
up just fine now.
I just used 10/40 motor oil and the clutch is slipping some. I thought i read there is an
oil that helps with the clutch friction?
thanks again gary

·
Administrator
9,802 Posts
Use a motorcycle oil that is JASO-MA approved/10w40. These oils are designed for use with the wet-clutche in your bike. These oils will definitely help, but if your clutch is already damaged you may need to replace it. But you can always try adjusting it first to see if that helps. Glad you got it running good now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts