Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening. New to the page and I am looking at purchasing a new quad. I'm moving up from a 250 Beartracker 2wd to something with 4wd and I am really liking the overall size of the KQ 400ASI that a local dealer has. I am 5"11, 245 lbs. I just want to make sure this machine will do everything I'm looking for in a quad. I also have an opportunity to buy a used 2016 Polaris 450 H.O. which would be plenty of power for me but 1. I keep reading about issues with that company, 2. I really like the size of the KQ400.
My main uses would be for steep logging trail riding and deer hunting (to include occasionally strapping down a deer). Based on my size and expectations, should the 400 be enough for my needs?

I tried using the search feature but apparently couldn't find the proper wording to fit what I'm searching for.

Thank you in advance for your assistance in lightening my wallet...

·
Registered
59 Posts
It definitely is capable of doing what you want. I have a KQ400fsi I'm 6'5, 330 and it moves me around just fine. Not sure about the 400asi but my foot shift in low and 1st gear could probably climb a wall at idle

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree that the 400 should do what you want plus some. I am using a similar unit that is doing the job well for me. I am 6'4" and weigh about 240. You should be fine and well served. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You definitely won't have a problem with power, the main difference between the 400 and the 500 other than the motor is that the 500 has independent rear suspension where the 400 is a solid rear axle.
For me I'll never buy a solid-axle quad again, because the independent rear suspension is just so much more comfortable on the trail. Independent suspension also has better ground clearance.
The one advantage a solid rear axle has is for towing, because the weight goes on the axle instead of the suspension, but even that isn't a huge advantage if your trailer is set up right anyway. I use my irs quad to move and park my ATV trailer without issue, other than needing someone to sit on the front rack or I can't steer.... (Because it's easier to move with my ATV than my jeep in tight quarters)

·
Registered
59 Posts
A solid rear axle is also stronger and has less maintenance. And since you have a bear tracker you're already used to how a solid axle handles. Switching to IRS can take a learning curve. Especially on steep of camber hills. Or trying to slide the rear end around corners

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good evening. New to the page and I am looking at purchasing a new quad. I'm moving up from a 250 Beartracker 2wd to something with 4wd and I am really liking the overall size of the KQ 400ASI that a local dealer has. I am 5"11, 245 lbs. I just want to make sure this machine will do everything I'm looking for in a quad. I also have an opportunity to buy a used 2016 Polaris 450 H.O. which would be plenty of power for me but 1. I keep reading about issues with that company, 2. I really like the size of the KQ400.
My main uses would be for steep logging trail riding and deer hunting (to include occasionally strapping down a deer). Based on my size and expectations, should the 400 be enough for my needs?

I tried using the search feature but apparently couldn't find the proper wording to fit what I'm searching for.

Thank you in advance for your assistance in lightening my wallet...
I have a 2007 KQ, love it, you should have plenty of power with the 400 to do what you want too, if not, you can always put a shim in the clutch to increase your low end power.

Kevin

·
Registered
1 Posts
KQ 400ASI
I am your size and I run a 400 kingQuad doing those very things. I live around the bluffs of the Mississippi river and have no problems. I've hauled my brother who is of similar size up the steepest trail I have with no issues and he was surprised how easily it handled it. He was thinking he would have to sit on the front tool rack because of how steep and I told him not necessary and it wasn't. I run those hills in high range when not pulling anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you to all that reassured me with the KC 400 ASI. I pulled the trigger yesterday afternoon. The camo one now resides in my garage after I saw the incentive went from $700 to $950 with the 19’s in the new year. Over $2k off the total MSRP so I felt that was fair. Seemed like plenty of power scooting around the dealership’s parking lot.
Pretty sure i’ll be pleased with it, thanks again!
Pete

As a side note I broke the news to the bride when we walked onto the Cruise ship for Vaca today.... timing is everything!😉

·
Registered
301 Posts
smooth move and congrats!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have had my 400 ASi for a couple months now. Very happy so far with it. 90% of what I plan to use it for will be work, pulling mowers/trailers/logs and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I had the opportunity to rip around my hunting grounds with the new quad. 40 miles and 10 hours into break in and I'm loving it. it does everything I could ask it to and with ease.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts