Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 03 ltf 250 and I was doing a wheel bearing replacement . I took everything apart and notice they send me the wrong bearing so I had to wait a few days. So I got my parts got everything back together and ran into this problem. The brake pads are stuck together and I can’t get them apart did some reading I guess the piston is stuck and need to be pushed back in. Problem is how do I push it in when the pads are the way and after I remove them how do I get the piston back down. Thanks for any information it will be very appreciated
Wood Automotive tire Gas Road surface Metal

Wood Finger Thumb Nail Soil

Hand Automotive tire Wood Finger Tread

Leg Human body Wood Gesture Nail

Helmet Automotive tire Wood Finger Bumper

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to add I did crank the atv a couple time fixing other things could that be the reason why it closed up on me because it was open when I took it off

·
Super Moderator
1,195 Posts
Forgot to add I did crank the atv a couple time fixing other things could that be the reason why it closed up on me because it was open when I took it off

Typically I take one of the old brake pads and place it across the back of the caliper . I leave the other in place , over the piston to protect the piston. Then I use a C-Clamp to force the piston back into the caliper.

It is very important that you dissipate the force of the C-Clamp with something like the old brake pad, or another object. If you fail to do do, you will blow a hole in the piston, or the back of the caliper.

Those pads don’t look extremely low. They probably need replacement now because it looks like you may have cracked the edges by trying to force something in between. Perhaps you were trying to separate the pads with a screwdriver?

Also, I am not sure if your model has a parking brake lock on the hand lever. If it does, verify that it is released before proceeding with your C-Clamp. Then make sure you open the bleeder slightly before you compress the piston.

Bleed the brakes when you are done. That’s a good time to gravity bleed and flush all that old brake fluid out.

There are probably videos that will help on YouTube .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Typically I take one of the old brake pads and place it across the back of the caliper . I leave the other in place , over the piston to protect the piston. Then I use a C-Clamp to force the piston back into the caliper.

It is very important that you dissipate the force of the C-Clamp with something like the old brake pad, or another object. If you fail to do do, you will blow a hole in the piston, or the back of the caliper.

Those pads don’t look extremely low. They probably need replacement now because it looks like you may have cracked the edges by trying to force something in between. Perhaps you were trying to separate the pads with a screwdriver?

Also, I am not sure if your model has a parking brake lock on the hand lever. If it does, verify that it is released before proceeding with your C-Clamp. Then make sure you open the bleeder slightly before you compress the piston.

Bleed the brakes when you are done. That’s a good time to gravity bleed and flush all that old brake fluid out.

There are probably videos that will help on YouTube .
Thank you so much for the info and it’s a 03 and it does have the brake lock on it and I did try to open it with a flat head but your right the pads look good I just don’t wanna mess them up anymore by trying to open them and if you could point be into the direction of the videos that would be great cause there is not many videos on YouTube for this model 03 Suzuki quadrunner ltf250

·
Super Moderator
1,195 Posts
Thank you so much for the info and it’s a 03 and it does have the brake lock on it and I did try to open it with a flat head but your right the pads look good I just don’t wanna mess them up anymore by trying to open them and if you could point be into the direction of the videos that would be great cause there is not many videos on YouTube for this model 03 Suzuki quadrunner ltf250
You don’t need a video specific to your exact model. Search YouTube for a model year close to yours, or even another model. The big concern is not placing that C-clamp directly on the caliper, or piston. Use something to spread that load. Even a small piece of wood will work. Then look for a video on gravity bleeding. Loosen the bleeders, pour fluid into the brake reservoir and it will flush out the old brake fluid. Over the years brake fluid become contaminated. Even moisture from condensation is a contaminant .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone for the help i got them apart i just ended up loosening the bleeding valve and sepreated them with a flat head ....... love this forum already and just joined two days ago and have got more help on here then on youtube lol thanks guys i really mean that

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.