Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Quadrunner 500, 2003 Vinson 500, 2007 King Quad 450, 2012 King Quad 750, 2009 Grizzly 700
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 Quadrunner 500 that the front and rear plastics are just beginning to crack. The front hasn't broken all the way through yet but the rear has. Anyways, my question is is there a way or something I could do to stop or prevent the plastics from braking?

·
Super Moderator
746 Posts
I have a 1998 Quadrunner 500 that the front and rear plastics are just beginning to crack. The front hasn't broken all the way through yet but the rear has. Anyways, my question is is there a way or something I could do to stop or prevent the plastics from braking?

Post some pictures up showing what you are dealing with. There are a few things you can do. You can Google “plastic stitching”. I don’t love the look. It is sort of Frankenstein looking. You can also use a cloth pad on the back side with epoxy. My choice would be to try plastic welding it. Kits are available online. You are basically heating and melting the plastic back together from the underside.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just did some stitching to my 96 to fix a bobo. Drill a small hole at each end of the crack. That will stop the crack. Drill with a 3/32 bit on each side of the crack spaced equaly along the crack. Then I drill the holes with a larger bit, I use a 1/8 bit. Get a pack of zip ties that fit the holes and stitch one hole together with the lock on the uner side and cut of the tail with a side cutter. Then move on down the line one at a time. Don't stich them all and trim the tails all at once. The side cutter will not be able to get right up to the lock if you do that.

·
Registered
1998 Quadrunner 500, 2003 Vinson 500, 2007 King Quad 450, 2012 King Quad 750, 2009 Grizzly 700
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll take some pictures of it when I get home, on the front I just used some JB weld on it because if I remember correctly there are small fractures in the fender that aren't cracks yet.
The crack in the rear has been JB welded before and the JB weld broke so now its gorilla taped together.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried to get some close pictures of the fracturing but my camera wouldn't focus on it. But here are the pictures.

·
Super Moderator
746 Posts
I tried to get some close pictures of the fracturing but my camera wouldn't focus on it. But here are the pictures. View attachment 20973 View attachment 20974 View attachment 20975 View attachment 20976 View attachment 20977

Tough to tell from those pictures. Like I said earlier, depending on what your expectations are, you have a few alternatives for repair. The stitching is quick, but very obvious. The plastic welding is an option, as is gluing. They each come with pluses and minuses . It’s all about what you think you are capable of and how good you want the finished product to appear. The other thing is where the damage is located. You can’t really stitch around the circular damage.

Also remember the old expression. An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure. In all the years I have been riding and all the ATVs I have owned , I have never had to stitch, glue, replace, or otherwise repair a body panel from damage that I caused. That includes nearly a dozen ATVs and perhaps ten thousand miles of riding. Most of my sons adult ATVs were hand me downs of units I bought used. Typically I sell them in better condition than I purchase them in.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
None of the damage to the plastics on my Quadrunner 500 happened because I did something that caused it to crack. It's just an old 4 wheeler thats been driven for 10,000+ miles through orchard rows so the plastics are going get some wear from branches brushing against it. Also I know that where the plastic broke in the rear is a common place for the Quadrunner 500 and Quadmaster 500 to brake just because of the way the plastic is shaped in that spot it brakes easier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts