Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, my 05 king quad has always been hard on batteries ( a new one every 2-3 years ) but this year it has stepped up its game, since jan 2020 it has gone through 2 batteries ( ac delco brand atx20chbs) i do plow with this bike. after replacing the battery in january i started keeping it hooked up to a slolar trickle charger. in may it was dead and wouldnt take a charge.pulled the seals and the battery was 3/4 empty of electolite, topped it up, tried charging but wouldnt take.replaced it (under warranty) in june, was good all summer, rode 200km in september, 1st of october battery dead, wouldnt take charge, checked electolite it was half empty again.new warranty replacement coming in tommorrow...meanwhile i have checked all the wiring connections i can get to.with this bad battery in it with bike running (pull started) it is charging 13.5 to 13.8 v which is normal but turn on all lights and it drops to 11.0 to 10.7 v....any suggestions ? thoughts on ac delco batteries ? thanks all

·
Super Moderator
385 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Typically , if a battery is boiling out water , it is overcharging. If you have another meter, I would verify those readings. Maybe verify at off idle speeds also. AC Delco / Delphi batteries are good quality. I personally use AGM batteries in different brands. I doubt an AGM battery will solve your problem.

Does your battery look swollen? Distorted perhaps?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum.

Typically , if a battery is boiling out water , it is overcharging. If you have another meter, I would verify those readings. Maybe verify at off idle speeds also. AC Delco / Delphi batteries are good quality. I personally use AGM batteries in different brands. I doubt an AGM battery will solve your problem.

Does your battery look swollen? Distorted perhaps?
no, its not swollen or the previous one either....just got off the phone with my mechanic ( 20 years suzuki experience) and he thinks voltage regulator is intermittently failing...going to try monitoring voltage after installing new battery...thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,055 Posts
13.5 to 13.8 volts is a tad low. At idle that voltage sounds about right. If you have a voltmeter or multimeter, take a voltage reading at the battery while at idle and when revving the engine. The voltage should be around 14.0 to 14.4 volts when revving the engine. If your constantly eating through batteries, I agree with John that you probably have a overcharging scenario. Also 11.0 and 10.7 volts with the lights on seems kind of low. Only way to know for sure what is going on however is to take some readings and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts