Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever have issues swapping bigger tires onto a kingquad 300.

I'm looking at getting new tires and I'd like to swap to bigger sizes. But not if it will cause reliability issues or kill alot of power. I'd be keeping the offset sizes so I'm not to worried about binding.

Is it much harder on axles u-joints bearings or anything else? Will it cause a noticeable power loss?

This is a work horse for me not a toy. I'm hauling a trailer behind my quad half of the time and I go up lot's of F'ed up trails. So i kinda need the power and don't want reliability issues.

I'd like some feedback from people who've swapped bigger tires on thiers and any pros or cons.

·
Super Moderator
7,344 Posts
Larger tires weigh more. In my opinion you’d be best to put 26’s in the back and 25’s in the front. Going up one size shouldn’t affect your quad’s power much if anything. Keep in mind however not to go over a “9 wide tire in the front. Or you may encounter interference with the steering knuckle. Also keep in mind some tires weigh more then others. So choosing a tire appropriate to your needs and riding style would be what I would go after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks AJ. I fogot to mention i was looking at keeping the same width and only going up 1 in. in size.

The tires I'm looking at are fairly lite but aggressive. Interco swamp lite tires. I got some for my quadrunner before the engine seized. And a pair of 24s for a project. Awsome performance offroad. Great traction. A little unstable at high speed with low pressure on hard ground like asphalt or hardpack. Softer ground speed doesn't seem to be an issue. It's barely going to see higher speeds or hard ground so i don't really care about that.

Both front and rear tires on the QR250 say 7psi max. Running that low is great offroad but kinda spooky at higher speeds. Turning the pressure up helps on road performance. The 24/11/10 tires say 15 psi max and i haven't mounted them yet. So I'm not sure how they'll perform on hard surfaces. That project will take a while too finish.

I can get 25s front and 26s rear. I'd rather not buy different size rims for the front just to use stock height tires unless i could find them cheap. I wouldn't mind going with the stock size. But these tires aren't available for the stock front size and they are what i want to run.

·
Super Moderator
7,344 Posts
I run the original Kenda Bear Claws on my 300, (K299’s) I think they are. I like them. Thomas AKA Tubbytubb, who was a moderator here had the Interco Swamp lites on his 300. Whichever tire you decide to go with I’m sure it’ll suit your needs just fine. It’s funny, on my 300 KQ there’s a small plaque affixed to the right rear body panel. Right behind your right thigh when sitting on the bike. It’s marked 4.0 PSI rear, and 4.4 PSI front. I know their low pressure tires, but that seems rather low. So I upped it to around 7PSI. Handles better I find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Air pressure is a major factor for certain, regardless of the tire size. Keep this in mind, KQ 300 is a smaller end size of 4x4 model model atv and with the 400 series, 500's and 750's, they obviously have more HP to overcome increased tire size, weight and pull on the engine and drivetrain. Sometimes less really Is More. Axles, u-joints, transmission and engines only can overcome so much. The engineering and development folks spend lots of time and money developing what they market for maximum results and satisfaction. Our Wants are certainly often times very different from our Needs. This is not to mention tire rubbing as a negative possibility consequence. Good luck and enjoy your ride!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts