Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a buddy that has a 2005 500 vinson. Last winter he blew a belt and it also took out the back plate on the front clutch. We replaced it all, along with the bearing. Seemed to do good all summer. His two boys ride double, and they are probably 200lbs each. A few weeks ago, snow riding again, it blew another belt. Early in on the trip, I was riding be behind and smelt burning. Stopped as I thought my sxs was hot somewhere. Turned out the vinson rear brake was stuck on. Got hot enough to disintegrate the pads. By the end of the trip, they lost the belt.

So a few questions. Are they overloading it with weight? Bikes always work harder in snow. Would the stuck brake been the beginning of the belt failure, we rode about 3 hours after that.
Is there something else we should look at? I do his repairs and I'm not sure if maybe there is something else I should be looking at.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yikes.. I would say 100% for sure the death of the belt is related to the locked brake.. the belt would slip and overheat and eventual.. boom.. even the OEM belts can only take so much heat.. add a couple chubby lads and some snow riding.. which adds snow dust to the CVT increasing slippage..

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts