Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced front wheel bearings and seals in my 95 Quadrunner 250. All was going well till I replaced the brake drums and front wheels. When I tighten the lugs, the wheels will not turn.
What did I mess up here? Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Did you make sure the spacer is in between the 2 bearings ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you make sure the spacer is in between the 2 bearings ?
Yes. The bearing kit I bought had what appeared to be a mated set for the outboard size, behind the hub. I installed one part on the back of the hub and the other outside the bearing. Could those two be binding - are they redundant?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
There is a floating spacer that goes in between the bearings and the axle goes through it......That's the part I am talking about, it looks like a piece of tubing.
If you left it out or it is missing....yes it will bind.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yes. The bearing kit I bought had what appeared to be a mated set for the outboard size, behind the hub. I installed one part on the back of the hub and the other outside the bearing. Could those two be binding - are they redundant?
There is a floating spacer that goes in between the bearings and the axle goes through it......That's the part I am talking about, it looks like a piece of tubing.
If you left it out or it is missing....yes it will bind.
See pic.. I think that’s what TCIII is referring to, correct me if it’s not.. cheers.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Yep....that's it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See pic.. I think that’s what TCIII is referring to, correct me if it’s not.. cheers.
View attachment 19453
Yes - the spacers are in place. After swapping the dust seals the hubs have loosened up and now move freely. When I replaced the tires and tightened the lug nuts, the hubs froze again. I finally removed the newly-installed brake pads and the hubs again spin freely, even with the tires mounted and lugs tightened.

I've worked on front drum brakes before but have never encountered anything like this. Thoroughly confused at this point...thank goodness for disc brakes on newer models!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Did you release the automatic adjuster?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had a similar issue. Was the automatic adjuster. Easy fix. If that's your issue. Just need to take it apart again and turn the adjuster back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts