Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2019 500 kq. Battery keeps dying. Hear a clicking noise from a black box thing on the passenger side of the quad . It's only 4 or 5 months old. Contacted the dealer but no reply yet. Anyone else have issues ?

·
Super Moderator
7,305 Posts
I’d check your charging system to see if it’s suppling a charge to your battery. However, if your quad is still under warranty I’d let the dealership look it over. You either have a charging system issue, a bad battery, or something possibly drawing current from your battery when your quad is off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Enough to drive ya nuts with a new quad . Don't have anything hooked to the battery. The clicking noise and the slow cranking of the start is what alarmed me. Trying to find a replacement battery online is laughable.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I would think the battery is under warranty .

·
Super Moderator
7,305 Posts
I agree. I would think the battery is part of your warranty. I’d check before dishing cash out on a new one if that’s the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yep. Definitely, I would take it right back to the dealer. Sound like a poor PDI job by them. No way you should have any issue on a new machine , it should all be covered under warranty whatever it is (most likely the batt).

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
aside from getting it replaced under warranty, reason it is tough to find batteries online is shipping is often a bit more than UPS or FeEx.

Local shops should be fairly competitive with battery prices. Even big box stores carry batteries. (Walmart, Costco, Fred Meyers), not to mention auto parts stores. Heck, even ACE hardware carries Interstate batteries.

One nice thing about buying local is that they often have already poured the acid into the battery for you. Although, the last battery I got from Walmart was a kit, I had to pour in the acid. Let it soak for a few hours and then slow charge it overnight.

Of course, for me, shipping to Alaska cost more than the battery, so buying local is always cheaper.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have 2 750 kingquads. My wifes went through batteries like crazy. 1 every 2 years. The fix was an extra ground wire from the stator to the battery. I can't remember if I found the solution here or on another forum. It was some Suzuki tech who said that they did this on a regular basis when a bike didn't recharge the battery properly. My first solution was always to recharge and then buy another battery. But by have the second bike, (still on the original factory battery and identical use and maintenance), I could see the difference. Regardless, problem solved for me.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have 2 750 kingquads. My wifes went through batteries like crazy. 1 every 2 years. The fix was an extra ground wire from the stator to the battery. I can't remember if I found the solution here or on another forum. It was some Suzuki tech who said that they did this on a regular basis when a bike didn't recharge the battery properly. My first solution was always to recharge and then buy another battery. But by have the second bike, (still on the original factory battery and identical use and maintenance), I could see the difference. Regardless, problem solved for me.
On a 2019 model? I’m only aware of past models having this issue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I made it 14 miles on my first ride on the 19 KQ750 before it suffered an electrical death. The harness running to the regulator (left side) was not plugged in good. Are you charging it every time since you say it 'keeps dying'?

·
Registered
170 Posts
14 miles? Was it just that the harness wasn’t fully connected? Was it just the 1st ride or it still occurs?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey Zuuk, yeah, mine are 2011's. Adding a wire couldn't hurt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah8L1-S6SDw
Hey DutchCDN, yeah don’t hear of such issues on newer ones, well ...until LeeN mentioned but something is up there...

Yep a little prevention goes a long way. Soon after I purchased my brand new 2019 KQ, I took off all the plastics and dielectric and rubberized every connection I could get my hands on as extra measure , to help prevent any future electrical gremlins over time, they are a pain in the ... It was a perfect time to do so when it was brand new grit free.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Like I posted before one of our KQ450's had issues right from new 2007. Battery every 2 years or sooner. Recall was a key switch harness. After many years and Suzuki kept saying everything charges ok but every once in awhile I'd check charging and it would be battery voltage next time around 13.7-14v. Long story short it was the key switch harness connection again. replaced it and never changed a battery since. Just a thought as it was a recall back in 2008-9?? maybe its back again...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just the first ride Zuuk. 1000 miles on it now and all is well.
Thanks LeeN, hope that was just a 1 off fluke, sounds like it.

Like I posted before one of our KQ450's had issues right from new 2007. Battery every 2 years or sooner. Recall was a key switch harness. After many years and Suzuki kept saying everything charges ok but every once in awhile I'd check charging and it would be battery voltage next time around 13.7-14v. Long story short it was the key switch harness connection again. replaced it and never changed a battery since. Just a thought as it was a recall back in 2008-9?? maybe its back again...
Yep, that ignition switch recall was back in 2007 for KQ450 model years 2007-08. The last recall Suzuki had for battery discharge issue was in 2016 and affected 2016 and 2017 model yrs. I’d be surprised if it’s still happening on models after that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts