Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do most of you do during the blistering cold months with quad batteries? My riding lawn mower I just bring the battery in for the season but would like to leave the battery in the quad. Ive heard of using tenders, trickle chargers, reptile heating pads and just removing the battery during the cold season. What's best?

·
Super Moderator
1,465 Posts
What do most of you do during the blistering cold months with quad batteries? My riding lawn mower I just bring the battery in for the season but would like to leave the battery in the quad. Ive heard of using tenders, trickle chargers, reptile heating pads and just removing the battery during the cold season. What's best?
It depends on your geographical location, intended usage (are you using it in the winter) and battery type. If you are in a cold climate, do not intend to use your machine during the winter and don’t want to take the battery out, put a tender on it.

I am on Long Island, so we see temperatures in the teens. My machine typically sits from November to April, unused. I keep it in an unheated spot. I use an AGM battery and I have never used a tender. I have zero problems.

Now if you have a standard technology battery, a longer winter that is colder , you might want to use a tender.

AJL719 lives in Canada. It sounds like his winter starts in July (kidding). He uses a tender

Reactions: Beesnweeds

·
Administrator
9,802 Posts
Well I’ve heard people say Xmas in July before, so you never know, lol. Though I’ve personally never seen any snow in July. Well not in my life time anyhow.

The battery in my 750 is the original one from Suzuki. Not sure if it’s AGM or the standard lead acid type. Though if I was a guessing man I’d say it’s the standard lead acid. I’ve got three chargers/maintainers. Also known as battery tenders. Two are the older type and the one for my 750 has a inline fuse which I like.

I never take my batteries out of my lawn tractor, 300 KQ, or my 750. I just put a charger/maintainer on them and leave them be. And sometimes we get -40C and lower. And my garage is not heated nor insulated. Whatever the temperature is outside it’s the same in my garage minus the windchill.

Reactions: Beesnweeds

·
Registered
214 Posts
Batteries unused keep them inside. Battery tenders are you guaranty. King quad batteries since 2005 are agm and must have the correct Cold Cranking Amps. All atv batteries must have the correct CCA or you could be let down.

·
Administrator
9,802 Posts
Your atv battery does not have to be stored indoors. Doing this is a matter of choice. I’ve used my charger/maintainer for years on my 300 KQ and the battery has never suffered any I’ll affects or failed prematurely. And that was on the standard lead acid type, and also on my AGM I’ve had in it for 6 years. 2 of those years I brought it inside. Simply cause I was temporarily storing it at my buddy’s in his shed that had no power running to it.

As long as your battery is on a charger/maintainer of some type your battery will be fine. If you were leaving it over the winter in your bike with nothing on it, then I’d say bring it inside. Otherwise your perfectly fine leaving it in your bike as long it’s being properly charged/maintained. My winters are long and brutal. 6+ months of variating temps as low as 50C.

I’m sure if my batteries last my brutal winters the way I have them set up. They’ll be perfectly fine if you do the same. I’ll try and snap some pictures of my charger/maintainer that I have for my 750 if I remember.

·
Administrator
9,802 Posts
Unused, yeah I suppose you could bring them inside you wanted.. Even then you could still stick it on a charger/maintainer/tender and not have to worry about it.. Totally optional. Even if I bring mine in the house they immediately go on the charger/maintainer. I actually bought a 4 bank Noco charger two summers ago. Great for charging and maintaining multiple batteries. That can vary between lead acid, AGM, and deep cycle batteries. It’ll do it all at once.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use battery maintainers on my ATV boat and snowmobile during the off seasons. I live in Maine and never have problems with batteries.

·
Administrator
9,802 Posts
These is the charger/maintainer I use on my stuff. It’s a Canadian Tire brand charger/maintainer. It’s a Canadian based store, but “Noco” also makes them. Which we have as well but they are more expensive. The type I use costs less and does the same job. And I’ve been using them for years.

Font Gadget Audio equipment Telephone Electronic instrument

Font Cable Audio equipment Motor vehicle Screenshot

Here’s the link if you want to read up on it some more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts