Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever use a soft rifle case as storage on their atv? I'm considering doing this for several reasons.
1. I don't carry much stuff other than recovery gear, food & water. My excursions are only 2-6 hours long.
2. Lower profile than traditional atv boxes.
3. Multiple pockets to store junk instead of throwing it in a big plastic box; preventing stuff from getting beaten around.
4. Cheaper!
5. Not waterproof, but most soft bags aren't.
6. It might tempt someone to steal it, thinking it's a rifle.
7. Harder to mount on the rack.

I've always liked soft bags over hard; They seem more diverse and can adapt better, where a big box is just a big box. Any other thoughts and opinions would be helpful. Here's the one I'm probly going to get.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here it is. I wish it was a little taller, 10", otherwise very good size for routine day trips & tools/gear. Also, I've used 4 Velcro straps which work well, but take a little too much time to remove & install, so I'll be looking for a different solution. Also, it'll probably get very dirty on the rear rack, so I might put it on the front rack.
IMG_1637.jpg
IMG_1638.jpg
IMG_1636.jpg

·
Registered
303 Posts
Looks neat. Yeah same , one of the things I was looking for was ease of taking it on a off , as well good sturdy fasteners to keep it all secured. Depending on how much you weigh it down , Velcro may not hold it to the rack. the Ogio bags with Velcro are notorious for getting ripped off. Maybe a good idea to apply waterproof spray, not only helps to repel water but also cleaning the dirt off..

·
Registered
43 Posts
That's pretty cool, thinking outside of the box. I've been toying with getting a box, but mostly to carry a chainsaw or other junk. But for food and water, this looks like the ticket.

I wonder if some bungee cords thrown over it might be good as a backup to the velcro. Not required, but nice backup.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Oh yeah for sure, bungee would work fine as a backup . After all the fasteners on my old bag got worn and torn off on trails , I bungeed but then that became annoying gaining quick access to stuff in the bag and then having to re-bungee each time on trail. that may be a non issue for some but I do a lot of trail riding..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dual rifle bag worked out fine, but it is at 70% capacity just with my standard riding gear, so not much room for extra gear. Which is fine if you don't carry equipment or ride with someone who does. I removed a pullover and a long sleeve shirt while riding and they barely fit in the bag after I carried some food & water, so a double rifle bag seems to be a little bit small for this application. The 4 Velcro straps held it in place on some of the roughest terrain and 600 miles of being towed on the highway, with no issues. Easy to remove & install also, about 1 minute. I don't really recommend it for atvs unless you ride with somebody else who carries gear. You can see in the picture how the bag is bulging with atv equipment, tools food & water, a shirt and pullover.
IMG_1648.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Cool it worked out, sorta. I kinda think it would be too small for me too.
Any plans to try something else?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool it worked out, sorta. I kinda think it would be too small for me too.
Any plans to try something else?
I'll continue using it but I will require an additional storage for trips longer than a day. Otherwise this is fine, just not ideal. First world problems I guess.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i tried a soft case and threw it out all your stuff is always wet and ends up ruining everything unless your gonna empty it after each trip out
Buy a hard case or waste your money up to you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I like seeing you try something different. I have a love hate with both hard and soft boxes.

Hard one's typically look cheesy, made with little style and of cheep looking plastic. They are durable though and keep your stuff clean and dry. But you have to hard connect them so it semi permanent. The exception is if it's factory but then your in $500+ bucks for a nice price of plastic.

You put your stuff in the ugly box but stuff voices around. Your compressor is bouncing around and getting scuffed up, your thermos is scuffed up, it basically raises hell on anything you haven't wrapped in your spare sweater or socks.

The soft bags, well they buckle on. Depending on. Your racks, I find with steel the webbing rubs the paint. There is less jostle for your stuff. But dirt is the enemy. So you water spray it but I clean my atv every ride. I'm not leaving a dirty bag on a clean atv. So that's a process. I also feel like I get more in the soft bags.

That's my thoughts on those

I have been playing with the waterproof dry bags. Very cheap, so far very durable. Wash easy but the problem is access is the most tedious of the three.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts