Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to gett this Quad Runner up and going. It has only started by spraying starter fluid into the carb. I have removed the carb and cleaned it, replaced the fuel line and the vaccum to the fuel pump. There are two other connection points on the carb for 1/4" hoese. Where are these lines suppose to go and what are they for? I'm hoping that they are just vent lines and go up and on top of the fuel tank. Guys I really need some help on getting this thing going for it's new owner.
Thank you for any and all the help you can provide me.

·
Super Moderator
707 Posts
I am trying to gett this Quad Runner up and going. It has only started by spraying starter fluid into the carb. I have removed the carb and cleaned it, replaced the fuel line and the vaccum to the fuel pump. There are two other connection points on the carb for 1/4" hoese. Where are these lines suppose to go and what are they for? I'm hoping that they are just vent lines and go up and on top of the fuel tank. Guys I really need some help on getting this thing going for it's new owner.
Thank you for any and all the help you can provide me.
Obviously , you aren’t getting fuel. You need to figure out if the fuel is getting to the carb , then you can proceed.

I don’t know that model, so I can’t tell you about the specifics of those hoses. Perhaps someone else can. For now I would remove the fuel line from the carb and verify that you have fuel to the carb. Next would be to verify that the carb is really clean and not just that it was cleaned. Those are two different things.

What is the history on this machine? Was it sitting for a long time with fuel in it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The guy thayt bought has no idea of the history. When he bought it it was not running at all. I did a bunch of repairs and had it running, but it was very cold blooded util it warmed up. Now I'm catching it because I can't even get it to start up on it's own. I drained the old fuel and put new gas in it , so it's not the fuel.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
Those bikes are naturally cold blooded until they warm up. It’s even worse in colder temperatures. As for your carb hose routing. You should have the main fuel line that runs from the fuel petcock to the fuel pump, then from the pump to the carb. You should then have one vac line (Smaller Line) running from the fuel petcock to the carb. Then another vac line running from the fuel pump to the carb as well. You will then have one line that is simply a vent line that usually runs up and under the shift panel connected to a T fitting. Or it could just be hanging loose. Does your bike start at all..? Or does it just crank and crank but nothing..?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had it running, but very cold blooded. The guy sold it to a mutual friend of ours. She asked me to repair the brakes and see what I could do to get to start better. I now have replaced all the lines to the carb and it does not want to start. I'm going to pull the fuel line off the carb todday and see if the fuel pump appears to be pumping hard enough. Other than that I'm unsure what to do next.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
The fuel pumps on these bikes have a pulsate style rate. So if fuel doesn’t look like it’s continuously flowing out the line then that’s perfectly normal. Even though these bikes are cold blooded they should still start with relative ease. The cold bloodedness comes from the engine taking a while to warm up. The fact that your having issues with cold starting the bike leads me to believe your valves may need adjusting. Valves that are out of spec can cause hard starts whenever the engine is cold. So I’d check the valves to make sure everything is still within spec and go from there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm goimg to pull the carb this morning and go back through it to sse if that might be where the problem is. I will let you know what I discover.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I pulled the carb and there was not a drop of gas in the bowl. As I wrote before I have replaced all the lines going to the carb and the fuel pump already. So I'm guessing that the fuel pump has given up the ghost. Now to attempt to find a replacement fuel pump for it.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I pulled the carb and there was not a drop of gas in the bowl. As I wrote before I have replaced all the lines going to the carb and the fuel pump already. So I'm guessing that the fuel pump has given up the ghost. Now to attempt to find a replacement fuel pump for it.
May help or not . I have a 98 model . Someone had bypassed the fuel pump , fixed that and made sure the pump functioned right .Found that the fuel pump for the B&S engine on my snapper mower is nearly identical .
Cleaned and cleaned the original carb . Ordered a replacement carb . that one the intake and output wasn't chamfered like the oem carb . Ordered a different replacement carb that showed to have the chamfers . It didn't , took a sanding disk to it . Now it has chamfers . Made so much difference in installing the carb . But the machine still ran as poorly as it did with the oem carb . Was trying to get it figured out and had it fired up with the metal cap on top of the carb off . It ran so much better . Put the cap back on and it went back to poor running . I know that cap is on there for a reason . Found that if I just installed the front 2 screws it ran pretty decent . Can install just one of the screws on the back without even tightening it and the machine starts running poorly . Don't know what is going on with that . Maybe someone can help me with that .
I hope my ordeal can help you .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts