Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor bought this four wheeler and had never heard it run. He brought it home and asked me to take a look at it and get it going for him. It now runs and the standard shift is working fine, but it will not shift out of Super Low. So i'm asking for some help in trying to determine what I need to do to try to find and correct the problem. I just got the four wheeler today and have done NOTHING to it today. I'm hoping this is an easier fix than his Rubicon 500 was. THank you for any input you might give me.

·
Super Moderator
8,265 Posts
Is the atv also in diff lock, or just in supper low..? If it’s in diff lock, you need to shift out of diff lock before you can shift out of supper low. But if your only in super low but it won’t shift out, check the shift linkage to the front diff. It may simply need to be adjusted. Also try sitting on the bike and rocking it back and forth using your body while trying to shift it out of super low. Sometimes the rocking motion is enough to get it out of super low. And welcome to the Forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just went out and started it up. When it is Super low it will shift into gear and move forward. When I push down on the knob to shift to low or high the bike will not engage in any gear. I will now go and check if iyt is in Diff Lock. Hopefully I can find out how that is shifted out of diff lock and that might help this thing do what it is suppose to.|

Thanik you for the welocome to the forum, and your input.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, the Diff Lock is in two wheel and will not shift into the Four wheel or through it to whatever the most forward position is. I sure hope that makes sense.

·
Super Moderator
8,265 Posts
Ok, let me see if I understand this correctly. Are you saying you can’t get the bike to go into 4WD or diff lock..? To get the bike into diff lock, you need to be in super low. Diff lock will not engage unless the sub-trans is in super low range. It is designed this way for safety reasons. Do any of the other range selections work, high/low/super low..? Do all your gears work, (Food Shifter)..? You should have 5 in total. If the bike runs, start it and put it in first gear. Now apply slight throttle to slowly creep forward. While your slowly creeping forward, push down and forward on the 2WD/4WD/Diff Lock range selector to try to get it to go into 4WD. I do on my 300 from time to time. Sometimes the cogs aren’t completely lined up so it won’t shift into whatever range your trying to get it into. The rocking motion I also mentioned in my previous post also works for most. But if your still having no luck engaging 4WD, the the shift linkage may simply need adjusting. If you still have no luck even after adjusting the linkage. Then the issue is most likely within the front diff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I have never riding this four wheeler. It is in Super Low and my neighbor said it shifts through all five gears. The diff lock is in two wheel and super low and when I attempt to shift into low or high the bike will not shift into any gear. Tomorrow I will start the thing and put in gear and move forward slowly and attempt to shift the diff into low or high and report back my findings. I think if he could find an operators manual it would help immenesly. I will report my findings in the morning.

·
Super Moderator
8,265 Posts
The bike being in diff lock and 2WD at the same time is physically impossible. If your sitting on the bike, the selections knob that is on your left controls wether the bike is in 2WD/4WD/Diff Lock. If the shift knob is all the way back, the bike is in 2WD. If the selector knob is in the middle, the bike is in 4WD. If the shift knob is pushed all the way forward, it’s in diff lock. Meaning all 4 wheels are locked.

The range selector knob that is on the right if your sitting on the bike control the sub-transmission. It controls wether the bike is in High/Low/Super Low. If the selector knob is all the way back, the bike is in “High”. If the selector knob is in the middle, the bike is in “Low”. If the selector knob is all the way forward, the bike is in “Super Low”. Note: Diff lock is only engageable if the sub-transmission is in super low range. Only way it is physically possible to engage diff lock in any other range other then super low is if the bike has received the the diff lock mod. The selector lever in the middle is the reverse lever. To engage reverse, the bike has to be in neutral.

Do all 5 gears work in all ranges, High/Low/Super Low..? Here’s is a example of the shift panel I explained below:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The range is in super low and the diff lock is in 2wd. The bike shifts through all five gears in super low and 2WD. I cannot shift the range from super low to low or high and cannot shift from 2WD into 4WD or Diff lock positions.

·
Super Moderator
8,265 Posts
Ok, I think I understand you now. Part of what you were saying or how you were describing it was throwing me off. When you say the bike is in diff lock 2WD, that is what was throwing me off. There is no diff lock 2WD. When in 2WD, the rear wheels are naturally locked by design. In future posts you may want to avoid using that analogy to avoid further confusion. When in 4WD, the left front wheel and right front wheel are allowed to rotate at different speeds. This increases traction but allows for minimal steering effort. In Diff Lock”, the left front wheel and the right front wheel are locked. This in turn provides maximum traction as all 4 wheels are locked but increases steering effort. With that said. If your unable to shift out of Super Low to Low or high, or from 2WD to 4WD/Diff Lock. Then check the shift linkage as I mentioned. If you still cannot get the bike to go onto 4WD or diff lock, then the issue most likely lays within the front diff. The same applies if adjusting the shift linkage for the range selector does nothing, (High/Low/Super Low). Then that would mean there’s an issue within the crankcase.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Mine has been stuck before. Try driving it around trying to shift ranges. Mine usually pops in between gear shifts or off throttle in gear. If it gets stuck in 4x4 diff-lock try reversing or turning sharp while pulling the lever.

The gears are straight cut not synchronized. They are strong but can sometimes be a pain to shift. Worth messing around trying to get it to shift instead of just tearing it down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I have not had the opportunity to mess with the shifting system yet.
I started working on problems from the front of the four wheelr and found that the front brakes do not work. Started diagnosing them and have discovered that the system will not pump brake fluid. I tore into the lines to clean and blow them out. I have now gotten it down to the hree way joint is full of crap and blocked. Is there anyway to clean this joint without having to remove it? The brake fluid in the line appears very rusty and old as it can be, so I'm not concerned with saving any of it, I would jus like to open up the lines and this joint.
Thank you for your help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts