Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Okay so I'm new to the forum and I'm new to Suzuki's. I bought a 1999 Suzuki kingquad 300 4x4 and it's a cold natured beast. It came from Arizona and it fell in my hands in Texas. I can crank on it for 20 minutes and it won鈥檛 start up. It has great spark and it's in mint condition, motor is tight and everything. Please help me. Thanks in advance guys 馃檭

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum. A few basics are needed for an engine to run. You have spark. Let鈥檚 talk about fuel. Crank the engine for a few seconds and then remove the spark plug. Is the plug wet? Do you smell fuel? Was this sitting for some time with old fuel in it? Is it a stock carb?

Once we have some of those questions answered , we can move on and try to help.

Super Moderator
Like John stated, check for fuel first. If you have fuel and spark but it still won鈥檛 run. Cleaning the carb and draining/refilling the fuel tank may be what is needed if the quad has sat for any lengthy period of time. The other thing you may want to check are the valves. Worn or out of spec valves can attribute to hard starts. And welcome to the Forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum. A few basics are needed for an engine to run. You have spark. Let鈥檚 talk about fuel. Crank the engine for a few seconds and then remove the spark plug. Is the plug wet? Do you smell fuel? Was this sitting for some time with old fuel in it? Is it a stock carb?

Once we have some of those questions answered , we can move on and try to help.
Thank you sir it is getting fuel and my plug is wet but every now and then when I am cranking on it it will backfire it was sitting for a month but the guy had it running before he brought it to me and it's not the stock carburetor

Super Moderator
As Ajl mentioned, check the valves. What carb is on it? Is it a stock replacement, or a knockoff carb? That last question is important. These machines are really sensitive to carbs. The best of knockoffs do not deliver good performance.

Registered
I have a decent carb for a 300 kicking around if you need one. Came off a 95' but its all the same.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
As Ajl mentioned, check the valves. What carb is on it? Is it a stock replacement, or a knockoff carb? That last question is important. These machines are really sensitive to carbs. The best of knockoffs do not deliver good performance.
How could I check the valves? and it has a knock off carburetor also

Super Moderator
There are valve inspection caps on the head of the engine. Remove those caps and check the clearances using feeler gauges. As for your knock off carb. These carbs typically add more issues then their worth. These atvs are real finicky and usually don鈥檛 run right with anything else other then OEM carbs.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
There are valve inspection caps on the head of the engine. Remove those caps and check the clearances using feeler gauges. As for your knock off carb. These carbs typically add more issues then their worth. These atvs are real finicky and usually don鈥檛 run right within anything other then OEM carbs.

Thank you I'll get back as soon as I can with more info

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Okay I got it to run and drive I took the carburetor off of my outlander 400 and it ran 馃槀 but the header all the way back to the muffler is red from idling for 10鈥15 minutes

Super Moderator
I agree with John, definitely sounds like it鈥檚 running lean.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I agree with John, definitely sounds like it鈥檚 running lean.

I got it to run richer so now its perfect but I think my spark plug is bad because its getting very little spark and now it's not starting

Super Moderator
I got it to run richer so now its perfect but I think my spark plug is bad because its getting very little spark and now it's not starting
Put a fresh plug in, run it for a while and read the plug. That will give you an idea about your AFR. Then you can proceed with jetting tunes with that info.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited by Moderator)
Put a fresh plug in, run it for a while and read the plug. That will give you an idea about your AFR. Then you can proceed with jetting tunes with that info.
Okay sorry for the late reply. I don't get notifications from this great forum , but I put a fresh plug in it. It was in between rich and lean, so it was perfect. It only starts when you pull start it with a pickup truck and a rope and you throw it in gear. Then it starts up immediately. I rode it all weekend. I followed my buddy's 19 Outlander 650 xmr on 32's and my little kq 300 didn't get stuck on 24 inch mudlites. I don't know what my starting problem is and sometimes when the battery is fully charged you have to use the electric start and post the throttle all the way in and use the pull rope at the same time. Then it starts right up but I don't understand what my problem is

1 - 16 of 16 Posts