Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if someone has there kq available to test their working stator. I was plowing in the dark the other day and at one point I could smell something cooking, the next morning the battery was weak when first trying to start it. The service manual says it should be putting out about 60V AC, I was hoping someone could test their stator and give me that number, right now at idle I'm around 35V AC, there is not much of a change at 5k rpm. The plug for the stator is on the left side of the quad under the upper black side plate. It's a plug with 3 yellow wires in it. I can get pictures if needed, but my internet in the bush isn't the best for loading pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So with an output of 35V AC I'm thinking I cooked a part of my stator. When idling the battery shows it is charging, but if I put on all the night lights the voltage drops to under 13.5V on my battery and keeps dropping. I have a spare stator here that doesn't look burnt, but I was only planning on opening up that side of the engine in the spring when it warms up.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Are you using a wench to raise and lower your blade?/ cause that alone uses a lot of voltage/amps I plug mine in every time I’m not using mine..

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you using a wench to raise and lower your blade?/ cause that alone uses a lot of voltage/amps I plug mine in every time I’m not using mine..
Yea, but I have a larger car battery on it because of the constant winch use and for the fact that I plow in the dark. It's been on the quad for 5 years now.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yea, but I have a larger car battery on it because of the constant winch use and for the fact that I plow in the dark. It's been on the quad for 5 years now.
O’tay...

·
Registered
34 Posts
If its charging at idle and drops on higher RPM it sounds like the regulator/ rectifier. You should have fairly close voltage from each stator wire. There are 3. I put a "Blue Elf" regulator on my 13 KQ750 off Amazon. I know, the dreaded aftermarket from Amazon. BUT in this case it's been on the bike for over a year and hundreds of miles and still works like it should. Right now it's under $30 bucks on Am. . If and when you do replace the regulator rectifier add a separate ground wire from the Reg/Rec to the battery. There is a common issue with the Reg/Rec losing ground and burning it
up.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If its charging at idle and drops on higher RPM it sounds like the regulator/ rectifier. You should have fairly close voltage from each stator wire. There are 3. I put a "Blue Elf" regulator on my 13 KQ750 off Amazon. I know, the dreaded aftermarket from Amazon. BUT in this case it's been on the bike for over a year and hundreds of miles and still works like it should. Right now it's under $30 bucks on Am. . If and when you do replace the regulator rectifier add a separate ground wire from the Reg/Rec to the battery. There is a common issue with the Reg/Rec losing ground and burning it
up.
I'm thinking I burnt half the stator, as it is only putting out 35V AC instead of 60V.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to get my spare rectifier and see if that changes anything, it's going to be cold out in the back shed with the parts bike. 🥶🥶🥶

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Swapped out the voltage regulator today and it seems a bit better but I'm still thinking I have low voltage from the stator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts