Suzuki ATV Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I wonder if the valves are being slow to close. Slight ticking noise can be heard, which usually indicates the valves slapping against the rockers.

Have you taken the valve cover off? inspect the cam, make sure the timing in spot on.

If the exhaust valve wasn't closing fast enough, it could cause that issue. If the intake valve wasn't closing fast enough, it would have more back pressure and most likely spit fire out the carb once in a while.

Also, another thing to check is to make sure the compression release isn't opening up as you rev it up.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
I'm not hearing a ticking, but I can pull the cover this weekend and check the cam and timing. Mucked around with it on Saturday and the more I listened to it the more it sounds like the spark is cutting out on it or it's firing out of time. I'm getting a solid spark off the plug when I check it, so I find it hard that the coil, CDI, etc are the problem.

BTW, no fire out the carb, so not the intake valve. And I'll check the compression release lever tomorrow.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
How much movement should I expect from the compression release? I can easily get about 1/4 inch of movement. A bit more pressure and it'll rotate about 45 degrees or thereabouts.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You may wanna look at the coil wire to the plug....The boot is screwed onto the wire. The wire maybe cracked where it is screwed into it. I took my boot off and snipped the wire and reinstalled the boot. It also is that way at the coil too. You can purchase a new boot or wire online.
I seriously cant tell you what it took for my King Quad to run better. It would have a flat response. Sometimes it wouldnt go over 30 MPH. After knowing now ...I have a feeling mine was flooding. Its good now ......It took a while though to figure it all out

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Alright, I think I got this fixed. Even though I was getting a solid spark and the CDI was near the high points according to my manual, I replaced it with a Caltric model anyway. Caltric tested close to original. Hooked up the Caltric CDI and everything has smoothed right out. So note to self: the manual is wrong on the CDI testing. Going to take it for a run tomorrow and see if it holds up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
If this holds up, then I've got a Quadrunner LT-F4WD and I have less than $1,000 (including buying the quad) for the entire project, including a set of new Kenda Bear Claws up front. A few small cracks in the plastic and a bit of rust in a front crossbar that I can cut out and weld a replacement back in, doesn't smoke. Rear brake is iffy for now, but as a hunting buddy says "Who needs brakes?" Only has one front light working, but I've got an LED light bar that I'm going to hook up, so no need to replace those bulbs.

Update: Took out this morning and ran down the road. No problems. Got it up to about 30 and had plenty of throttle left. Idles great, but it's a bit on the rich side (based on smell). I'll dial the mix screw back about a 1/4 turn and that should fix that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you ever resolve this issue? Mine 1999 KQ does the same thing. I have tried a new carb, an OEM carb, new fuel pump, bypassed and gravity fueled the carb, donor CDI, coil,plug and wire, checked rectifier. Running out of ideas. Idles like a champ but sputters and backfires otherwise. This bike has sentimental value, otherwise I would have quit trying!

·
Super Moderator
7,479 Posts
Please do not reply to posts over a year old. They are deemed inactive and overun new threads. Plus you will not get a reply from the OP in most instances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 48 of 48 Posts