Suzuki ATV Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Idk according to a shop, it is not running normal temp they said it is overheating, but they could not figure out why, they just redid the carb and valves and said there’s nothing wrong with it. I got it back and rode it for an hr and light kicked on so I called them and they had me check the temp with a thermo gun and I did told them what it was running and they said it is overheating but have no clue why
And as far as the temp switch, there was no label for what the open up at. I know my original one had it but couldn’t read the marking on it but the new ones didn’t have any markings to tell what the temp was it would open at

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
And as far as the temp switch, there was no label for what temp it would open up at. I know my original one had it but couldn’t read the marking on it but the new ones didn’t have any markings to tell what the temp was it would open at and all the wiring to the switch is in great shape

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
Do you remember what the temp was..? I believe I had sent you some normal operating temps for the 300 once via PM.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Do you remember what the temp was..? I believe I had sent you some normal operating temps for the 300 once via PM.
The head was 221 and oil itself was 205, they told me anything over 190 was too hot for it

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
This is what I had sent you:

ENGINE OIL TEMP. SWITCH + COOLING FAN THERMO-SWITCH

Engine oil Temp. Indicator
light switch operating temperature.

Standard/Specification
OFF/ON - Approx. 160C (320F)
ON/OFF - Approx. 140C (284F)

Cooling fan thermo-switch
operating temperature

Standard/Specification
OFF/ON - Approx. 120C (248F)
ON/OFF - Approx. 110C (230F)

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
The head was 221 and oil itself was 205, they told me anything over 190 was too hot for it
I’m assuming that reading is in Celsius, not Fahrenheit..?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
This is what I had sent you:

ENGINE OIL TEMP. SWITCH + COOLING FAN THERMO-SWITCH

Engine oil Temp. Indicator
light switch operating temperature.

Standard/Specification
OFF/ON - Approx. 160C (320F)
ON/OFF - Approx. 140C (284F)

Cooling fan thermo-switch
operating temperature

Standard/Specification
OFF/ON - Approx. 120C (248F)
ON/OFF - Approx. 110C (230F)
Yea

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
According to the chart I sent you your numbers look within tolerances. Your under the approximate value that the oil thermo switch would activate the light. I’ve barely touched my 300 since I’ve gotten my 750. Though on my next day off I plan to go take it out for a good long ride. So I’ll grab my temp gun and do some reading checks for you to compare with and we’ll go from there.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
According to the chart I sent you your numbers look within tolerances. Your under the approximate value that the oil thermo switch would activate the light. I’ve barely touched my 300 since I’ve gotten my 750. Though on my next day off I plan to go take it out for a good long ride. So I’ll grab my temp gun and do some reading checks for you to compare with and we’ll go from there.
Ok and there was a couple of readings one day that was 240 f at the jug and head was at 235 f awhile back

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I appreciate, everyone’s thoughts, on what to check. But it seems I’ve checked everything and still no solution. I wish it was as simple as someone to take a look at it, run a few tests, and find the issue and fix it, but even the shops, I’ve tried weren’t very helpful either. So I honestly have no clue what to do now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Coolerguys fan I refer to in my post is on sale right now for $17. The way I mounted it is solid and easy to do. What have you got to lose? Blowing more air through the oil cooler will do nothing but help.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The Coolerguys fan I refer to in my post is on sale right now for $17. The way I mounted it is solid and easy to do. What have you got to lose? Blowing more air through the oil cooler will do nothing but help.
It’s a brand new oil cooler, it’s getting plenty of air. When it was bought new my grandfather never had a issue with it getting hot and he had it from 97 to 2011 until he passed away. But it has never had issues like this before. And I’ve sank about $2600 in it already and still having issues for some reason.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
It’s a brand new oil cooler, it’s getting plenty of air. When it was bought new my grandfather never had a issue with it getting hot and he had it from 97 to 2011 until he passed away. But it has never had issues like this before. And I’ve sank about $2600 in it already and still having issues for some reason.
I put a new oil cooler, new temp sensor, new oil and filter change two times. I’ve flushed the lines and checked oil pressure, getting good flow, circulates good. Motors not running lean, valves are good. I honestly don’t have a clue, why it’s throwing the temp light. Wiring all seems normal, no damage.

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
Have you done a compression test at all..?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Have you done a compression test at all..?
Yea, the last shop it was at, did the compression test, then adjusted valves, and checked it again, and it passed the compression, and leak down test as well.

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
Oh ok, couldn’t remember if you had done one or not. You’ve literally thrown the book at this thing. $2600 is a lot of money to have thrown at it and have no positive results.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts