Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 KQ 300, that while riding, the oil temp light will come on i have checked, the temp with a thermo gun, and the head was at 221 degrees f. The oil itself was at 205 degrees f. Is this normal temperature or is it really getting hot?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea it’s brand new, and it’s not blocked flows fine changed oil last month it’s still looks new
Also replaced the temp sensor on it as well, it’s reading at 205 degrees f the oil itself is, and the head was at 221 degrees is this normal or to hot ?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That normal, it's air cooled
Ok, so I have something else causing the temp light to come on like that, just not sure why it seems to be working, it comes on while starting then goes off like it supposed to then after about an hour it comes on, then I can let it sit for awhile it goes right back off wonder what is causing it

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had my 99 do it after an oil change here in the winter, I was plowing snow at -10C, I just kinda ignored the light and went by feel for the temp, I was pushing alot of snow, but after a week it stopped, I'd say just after an oil change just keep an eye on it

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It’s been doing it for awhile with three oil changes and the new sensor

·
Registered
69 Posts
I believe that the switch works by closing the electrical circuit, making the ground. Just thinking out loud here but could the wire going to the switch be grounding or corroded a bit causing a conductivity issue. Maybe put a jumper wire from switch to sensor.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe that the switch works by closing the electrical circuit, making the ground. Just thinking out loud here but could the wire going to the switch be grounding or corroded a bit causing a conductivity issue. Maybe put a jumper wire from switch to sensor.
Wires, all look good not corroded or damaged or exposed I thought it could have been bad connection, but I thoroughly check the wiring and found no issues with it

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not that I can find all wiring, seems fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does it have winch? If a winch is installed, it blocks air flow to the oil cooler. I had to install a fan on mine between the winch and the rad. I bought my machine used and had to replace the front seal which was leaking ( a pain in the ass ). I read that the oil gets so hot it is almost at a boil which destroys the rubber seals.

The factory optional fan blows air on the motor. I think it is a better idea to blow air through the oil cooler rad itself. Check my post for pictures and mounting instructions. The fan only draws 750 mA of current and can be wired through a switch directly to the battery.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does it have winch? If a winch is installed, it blocks air flow to the oil cooler. I had to install a fan on mine between the winch and the rad. I bought my machine used and had to replace the front seal which was leaking ( a pain in the ass ). I read that the oil gets so hot it is almost at a boil which destroys the rubber seals.

The factory optional fan blows air on the motor. I think it is a better idea to blow air through the oil cooler rad itself. Check my post for pictures and mounting instructions. The fan only draws 750 mA of current and can be wired through a switch directly to the battery.
No it does not have a winch. The fan is discontinued on this quad so I’d have to find an aftermarket one to rig on it but I don’t know why is gets hot now it’s never done it ever when my grandpa had it and he bought it new in 97 and passed in 2011 and never had any issues with it

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No it does not have a winch. The fan is discontinued on this quad so I’d have to find an aftermarket one to rig on it but I don’t know why is gets hot now it’s never done it ever when my grandpa had it and he bought it new in 97 and passed in 2011 and never had any issues with it
It has plenty of air flow, to the rad and no restrictions in any of the lines, has good pressure, and it’s not running lean either, so idk what is causing it. I’ve also changed the sensor on it twice with no change either.

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
The winch alone wouldn’t cause the overheating even if you had one. I’ve had a winch on my 300 for 8 or so years and I’ve never had any issues with overheating or cooking seals etc. And I’ve ridden on some pretty hot days. And half that time with two people on the bike. You’ve got something more happening with your 300. Did you ever find a replacement muffler..? I remembered talking about it with you at one point. Probably another thread or through PM.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The winch alone wouldn’t cause the overheating even if you had one. I’ve had a winch on my 300 for 8 or so years and I’ve never had any issues with overheating or cooking seals etc. And I’ve ridden on some pretty hot days. And half that time with two people on the bike. You’ve got something more happening with your 300. Did you ever find a replacement muffler..? I remembered talking about it with you at one point. Probably another thread or through PM.
No haven’t found another muffler, yet for it, but I took the old one off just to see if it made a difference, and it still kicked the light, without the muffler on so I don’t think that’s it either.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good luck Lb27. I know the fan addition has definitely made a difference on mine. I let it sit idling for 20 minutes (no forward air flow through the cooler just sitting) with the fan running and it didn't heat up nearly to what it did before. You guys in the States can order the fan directly from Coolerguys for under $20. Extra cooling through the oil cooler wouldn't hurt. My buddy has a 250 quadrunner 4x4 and they have no oil cooler at all with no issues. The 300 is just a bored out 250 but it is crazy how much hotter the engine runs.

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
Running without the exhaust would probably throw the jetting off a little, but not enough to trigger the oil temp light to come on. Your problem is most likely on the engine side of things or possibly with some wiring to the temp switch. Really hard to say for sure. We’ve established the oil cooler is fine and oil is flowing correctly. And you replaced the oil thermo switch twice. So that’s fine as well. And I think we’ve also established that your bike is actually running within normal temps if I remember correctly. So what’s triggering the light remains a mystery. Only other thing I can think of if this is actually plausible is that you’ve been given the wrong oil thermo switch temperature rating. Meaning if you’ve been given the wrong temperature switch then it may be going on prematurely. Now again, I’m not sure if that’s actually plausible. However that’s the only other thing that I can think of at the moment.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good luck Lb27. I know the fan addition has definitely made a difference on mine. I let it sit idling for 20 minutes (no forward air flow through the cooler just sitting) with the fan running and it didn't heat up nearly to what it did before. You guys in the States can order the fan directly from Coolerguys for under $20. Extra cooling through the oil cooler wouldn't hurt. My buddy has a 250 quadrunner 4x4 and they have no oil cooler at all with no issues. The 300 is just a bored out 250 but it is crazy how much hotter the engine runs.
I have yet to find a fan cheap for it, except aftermarket that I’d have to rig up on it. But I still don’t see why it’s overheating it’s never done it before and it’s never had a fan on it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Running without the exhaust would probably throw the jetting off a little, but not enough to trigger the oil temp light to come on. Your problem is most likely on the engine side of things or possibly with some wiring to the temp switch. Really hard to say for sure. We’ve established the oil cooler is fine and oil is flowing correctly. And your replaced the oil thermo switch twice. So that’s fine as well. And I think we’ve also established that your bike is actually running within normal temps if I remember correctly. So what’s triggering the light remains a mystery. Only other thing I can think of if this is actually plausible is that you’ve been given the wrong oil thermo switch temperature rating. Meaning if you’ve been given the wrong temperature switch then it may be going on prematurely. Now again, I’m not sure if that’s actually plausible. However that’s the only other thing that I can think of at the moment.
Idk according to a shop, it is not running normal temp they said it is overheating, but they could not figure out why, they just redid the carb and valves and said there’s nothing wrong with it. I got it back and rode it for an hr and light kicked on so I called them and they had me check the temp with a thermo gun and I did told them what it was running and they said it is overheating but have no clue why

1 - 20 of 39 Posts