Suzuki ATV Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Idk much about it either, but the temp light comes on after riding it easily, for about an hour, and stays on until it sits for about 45 minutes to an hour, I know the oil is good, and level
is fine, cooler is clean and clear. Temp sensor is new but not sure what’s going on with it, all electrical seems good no shorts or damaged, or loose connections.

·
Registered
32 Posts
hello, I have a question ...
the red light when it turns on is warning high oil temperature or blown fan fuse? 🤔🤔

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
hello, I have a question ...
the red light when it turns on is warning high oil temperature or blown fan fuse? 🤔🤔
I’d say it’s the oil getting to hot causing the light to come on. Of course mine doesn’t have a fan fuse or a fan so I’m not 100% sure depending on what year and if yours had a fan or not.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Idk much about it either, but the temp light comes on after riding it easily, for about an hour, and stays on until it sits for about 45 minutes to an hour, I know the oil is good, and level
is fine, cooler is clean and clear. Temp sensor is new but not sure what’s going on with it, all electrical seems good no shorts or damaged, or loose connections.
Get a digital meat thermometer and when the light comes on shut off engine and take out the oil fill cap and take the temp.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Don't know. I do know that oil temps around 240F are desirable on air cooled engines.
I’d say it’s the oil getting to hot causing the light to come on. Of course mine doesn’t have a fan fuse or a fan so I’m not 100% sure depending on what year and if yours had a fan or not.
Ok, mine have f
mine, even with the fan turned on the oil temperature goes up to 120⁰c (+-248⁰f)
on hot days on hard driving

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Ok, mine have f

mine, even with the fan turned on the oil temperature goes up to 120⁰c (+-248⁰f)
on hot days on hard driving
My oil temp, is reading at 158 degrees when the light kicks on.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Get a digital meat thermometer and when the light comes on shut off engine and take out the oil fill cap and take the temp.
(Hardwood) I checked my temp it’s at 158 degrees Fahrenheit when light kicks on.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think your oil hot (back in the day it was called an idiot light) light is not working to specs. I would use same paint tape for laptop camera to cover offending light.

·
Super Moderator
8,708 Posts
Covering the oil temp light just so you don’t see it is not a wise move. It’s like those seldom people who cover their CEL (Check Engine Light) on their car or truck to hide some type of minor fault or a glitch that may be setting off the light. Though this may not seem like a big deal, if a more serious issue should arise you’d have no way of knowing till it’s too late. So your probably wondering well how’s it going to warn me anyway if it’s constantly on. Well when there’s a more serious issue at hand the CEL will actually rapidly blink signifying a more serious problem. So if the CEL is covered let’s say with tape, then you won’t know if there’s anything more serious going on.

It’s kinda like my truck. My CEL has been on for the last 3 years. Only difference is I know what code is being thrown triggering the light. The light in my case is being triggered by a fault with my O2 sensor. So I had my sensor replaced. All was fine for a week then the light came back on. So I looked up the code again and this time the code was different, though it was still pertaining to the O2 sensor. So I had the sensor replaced with a new one thinking my first sensor was defective, (2 Weeks Apart). Well that didn’t cure anything so I had my mechanic take a closer look at it. He traced the problem to the O2 sensor’s heating element that is designed to help when the engine is cold. Unfortunately my problem is my ECU is the one causing the glitch thus triggering my CEL. Of course I could fix it properly, but it would cost me $1000 for a new ECU, and $200 for the dealer to flash it. It’s not worth it given the age of my truck. So I just drive my truck with the CEL on “Not Covered With Tape” should something more serious arise.

Though vehicle CEL are more sophisticated, a oil temp light or idiot light as some refer it to should not be covered. In fact all your really hiding is the actual problem. There’s a reason Lb27’s oil temp light is coming on. Glitch or no glitch the real solution is finding out what’s triggering it. Cause like a vehicles CEL, ignoring it could cause potential damage if there’s a more serious issue at hand.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I’m going to try, and replace the temp sensor again, to see if that helps, but not sure if it will or not it never came on before, until I changed oil, and filter and put new cooler on, and cleaned strainer screen, so I’m not sure it has to be something electrical, I think, but I’ve been through the wiring and found nothing that I can tell wrong.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts