Suzuki ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sounds to my like a classic main bearing going bad. You can't be sure how the quad was maintained when it left the family. I have an infrared thermometer gun so when it quits raining I'll run it up to idle temp and check different areas. You said 15min when the light comes on?
Is the muffler all together? Is there any tell tale evidence that someone was in the engine other than the recent work?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Sounds to my like a classic main bearing going bad. You can't be sure how the quad was maintained when it left the family. I have an infrared thermometer gun so when it quits raining I'll run it up to idle temp and check different areas. You said 15min when the light comes on?
Is the muffler all together? Is there any tell tale evidence that someone was in the engine other than the recent work?
It takes almost an hour, for it to throw the light. And no motor has never been opened up just the valve caps and yes muffler is all together factory setup.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Test complete. 25min. exhaust header 355d. spark plug 209d. jug 205d. The nock in the exhaust is like the F1 racer waiting.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well something got lost on my end. I didn't enter the post that I typed. These thermometer test numbers are the result of the 25minute idle. exhaust header, spark plug, jug and the exhaust knock at idle is normal. To give you a comparison to the numbers that you might get with your test gun.

·
Super Moderator
8,708 Posts
A thing to keep in mind when temp checking is the ambient temperature outside. Outside temps will had a adverse affect on your overall reading. And I don’t think your main bearing is the issue. As for the knock Hardwood is talking about, if you have no idea what he’s referring to then don’t worry about it. Cause this knock he’s taking about doesn’t happen to my 300. So don’t let it add confusion to the issues you already have at hand.

·
Registered
349 Posts
after riding it for about 45 minutes it kicks the light on, and it stays on until I let it sit for at least an hour.
That does sound like its over heating, I am wondering if you have any kind of excessive drag in the drivetrain. Have you tried pulling/pushing it around on a smooth level surface while in neutral it shouldn't take much effort to push it around.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
That does sound like its over heating, I am wondering if you have any kind of excessive drag in the drivetrain. Have you tried pulling/pushing it around on a smooth level surface while in neutral it shouldn't take much effort to push it around.
No there’s no drag it rolls free

·
Registered
349 Posts
You mentioned you pressure washed the radiator, have you checked if that bent the fins? They are quite soft and bend easily. Is the cooling fan kicking on at all during your ride? Oh and the rattle in your muffler is likely a baffle that has broken off.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
You mentioned you pressure washed the radiator, have you checked if that bent the fins? They are quite soft and bend easily. Is the cooling fan kicking on at all during your ride? Oh and the rattle in your muffler is likely a baffle that has broken off.
It doesn’t have a cooling fan, they discontinued them for this quad. And no fins are bent on oil cooler it’s brand new, I pressure washed the engine itself. And it could be the baffle loose inside the muffler, but I have no idea, and I don’t have any money to put into at the moment so I’m not sure, I’ve been looking for another muffler but haven’t had any luck finding a decent priced one.

·
Super Moderator
8,708 Posts
Your other option is to find a used muffler off eBay or elsewhere. If your lucky you might find somebody parting one out at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Your other option is to find a used muffler off eBay or elsewhere. If your lucky you might find somebody parting one out at a reasonable price.
I have looked at ch
It doesn’t have a cooling fan, they discontinued them for this quad. And no fins are bent on oil cooler it’s brand new, I pressure washed the engine itself. And it could be the baffle loose inside the muffler, but I have no idea, and I don’t have any money to put into at the moment so I’m not sure, I’ve been looking for another muffler but haven’t had any luck finding a decent priced one.
ive looked at used, but people want a arm and leg for them

·
Super Moderator
8,708 Posts
I have looked at ch

ive looked at used, but people want a arm and leg for them
Yeah, unfortunately a lot of people aren’t giving them away for cheap. All you can really do is keep looking and hope your stubble upon something.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Ok, after checking the temp, with heat gun, the before the light, the head is at 219 degrees, jug is at 229 degrees, exhaust is at 236. After the light head was at 226, and the jug is at 242, and exhaust was at 325

21 - 40 of 53 Posts