Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a good suggestion for replacing the pull rope for a '94 King Quad 300? I tried some nylon rope sold by the foot at Home Depot and it snapped at various points within 5 pulls or so.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Any ATV, Cycle, or snowmobile dealer should have rope specifically for pull starts.

My local hardware store has a snow/ATV section where they sell the rope as well. It is a special cotton weave rope. Nylon breaks down quickly with oil/grease and heat.

ps. If you really want a good cord, the Cobra cords are the best I've seen.

https://www.cobrapullcords.com/

lifetime guarantee!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I bought some cord from a local motorcycle shop today. It was still thinner than what I was replacing. 3 pulls before it snapped. I'll look into the Cobra cord!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't know the King Quad had a compression release. I've not been able to find it if it has one! Any direction??

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
It's the lever on top of the head.( right side sitting on it)....you have to re-set it with each pull

·
Registered
174 Posts
The compression release will make it much easier to pull. Mine have enough compression that it's very difficult to pull start without using it. Alost impossible for some people without it.

It sounds like your relying on the pull start. Is your electric starter not working? There are lots of people on here who can help you troubleshoot to fix it if your not sure what is wrong with it.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I found it helpful to know exactly what the compression lever does.

It holds the exhaust valve open during the first compression stroke. This allows you to build up momentum for the next compression stroke. It automatically releases when the cam taps the rocker for the exhaust valve.

If, by chance, your decompression lever has been removed, you can pull slowly past the compression stroke and then take a giant pull through the power, exhaust, and intake strokes to build up momentum to the compression stroke.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts