Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently overhauled my carburetor in my 1994 Suzuki 300 King Quad. There were no issues previously with the unit other than a small bit of lag. After I had completed the overhaul and started the bike it would start up great and idle, but whenever you gave it the gas, it would bog down at around half throttle. If does ok if you ease on the throttle, it isn’t until you give it gas that it bogs down at higher RPM. When you put it in neutral and give it the gas it does fine until about half throttle then it stars to go in and out until it finally starts to die. I was thinking it was the carburetor, so I purchased a new one and installed it, and the same thing still happens. One thing of note, is during the overhaul, I had to remove the intake boot that connects the carb to the engine, and the seal was messed up so I had to replace the o ring. Not sure if it sealed 100% but I don’t get any results when I spray carb cleaner around the area when its idling; not sure if that would cause this type of performance issue? I also tested the voltage and its regulating right at around 12.5 volts. Any info or suggestions you could give would be great. Thanks!

·
Administrator
9,531 Posts
That voltage seems a bit low to me. You should be getting 12.5 to 12.6 volts when your battery is at rest, “atv not running”. At idle you should be getting around 13.0 volts. And in between 13.3 to 13.6 volts when revving the engine. And welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That voltage seems a bit low to me. You should be getting 12.5 to 12.6 volts when your battery is at rest, “atv not running”. At idle you should be getting around 13.0 volts. And in between 13.3 to 13.6 volts when revving the engine. And welcome to the Forum.
Thanks for the welcome Aj! Yes, I retested and I am getting around 13.8 volts as I rev but nothing out of the ordinary it seems. I thought for sure the voltage regulation would be the problem because it matched so many others issues where it would bog as the voltage increased, but that does not seem to be the issue. I also tried turning my lights on while revving and no change.

·
Administrator
9,531 Posts
What type fuel petcock do you have..? I’m pretty sure the ‘94 still has the non vacuum type fuel petcock. But if not the vacuum style fuel petcocks are known to be problematic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What type fuel petcock do you have..? I’m pretty sure the ‘94 still has the non vacuum type fuel petcock. But if not the vacuum style fuel petcocks are known to be problematic.
It is the vacuum type. I was curious as well so took off the vacuum side hose and I don’t have any fuel in the line, so assuming it is ok. Could a bad petcock diaphragm still cause performance issues even if it is not leaking past into the suction line?

·
Administrator
9,531 Posts
The diaphragm if it had a small pinhole in it could give you some issues. But if you had no fuel come out the vac line then I don’t suspect the fuel petcock to be your problem. Even though no fuel came out the vac line, was the line wet at all, or completely dry..?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wonder if it's the spark plug boot, coil or CDI unit? I've heard CDI can cause weirdness like that. I'm having similar problems with my 1990 250 Quadrunner, and thinking it might be CDI. I can find lots of King Quad CDI's for sub-$50, but Quadrunner ones are more expensive, so I'm still debating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts