Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi group.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Still having issues getting my 5 yrs idle (stored in dry shed) 92 250 LT-F4WD Quadrunner.

Just a brief recap. On and off over the last few months I've replaced inlet hose and air filter box, power washed the fuel tank interior, fully drained and dried I installed a new aftermarket petcock (works great) as OEM was finished, added fresh midgrade gas with small engine gas treatment, installed inline fuel filter (temporary location) and fiddled with the throttle adjuster.
Much to my dismay the best I've gotten is about 5 to 8 mins of idle with full choke. Take choke off..dies. Lightly tap throttle...dies. Kick into first w choke on...dies. See attachment. The throttle adjuster where it inserts into the carb.
The throttle cable doesn't seem to change anything. Turns more than I believe it should and even springs back to where I started the turn when I try to adjust it. I'm no genius but I think it may have come out of place from to many attempts. Does it look right to you or..?
As for the carb, it had been running lean (melted air box and burned small hole in tailpipe) the last time I had it on the trail and it is OEM Mikuni (replaced) with very little mileage in it.
Any input would be greatly appreciated as always. Bear in mind that when it comes to disassembling, fine tuning said carb, that is definitely beyond my capabilities at present. Swap for aftermarket China carb from Amazon?
I just don't know anymore!

Thank you as always.

Mike (aka Delftblue60)

Attachments

·
Registered
1986 Suzuki LTquadrunner 230GE
66 Posts
Hi group.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Still having issues getting my 5 yrs idle (stored in dry shed) 92 250 LT-F4WD Quadrunner.

Just a brief recap. On and off over the last few months I've replaced inlet hose and air filter box, power washed the fuel tank interior, fully drained and dried I installed a new aftermarket petcock (works great) as OEM was finished, added fresh midgrade gas with small engine gas treatment, installed inline fuel filter (temporary location) and fiddled with the throttle adjuster.
Much to my dismay the best I've gotten is about 5 to 8 mins of idle with full choke. Take choke off..dies. Lightly tap throttle...dies. Kick into first w choke on...dies. See attachment. The throttle adjuster where it inserts into the carb.
The throttle cable doesn't seem to change anything. Turns more than I believe it should and even springs back to where I started the turn when I try to adjust it. I'm no genius but I think it may have come out of place from to many attempts. Does it look right to you or..?
As for the carb, it had been running lean (melted air box and burned small hole in tailpipe) the last time I had it on the trail and it is OEM Mikuni (replaced) with very little mileage in it.
Any input would be greatly appreciated as always. Bear in mind that when it comes to disassembling, fine tuning said carb, that is definitely beyond my capabilities at present. Swap for aftermarket China carb from Amazon?
I just don't know anymore!

Thank you as always.

Mike (aka Delftblue60)
Running lean could have caused damage but if it starts its prob ok .Do u have a manual if u do see what they say to set pilot screw at and also is ur quad idling without stalling you may be getting to much air what does it sound like when u hit throtle ? If its burping or sort of farting lol it could be to much air chk ur air filter make sure its ckean also coukd be starving for air I just rebuilt my air and fuel system on my 86 quadrunner 230GE was having similiar problems had to do alot of fine tunning have paitence you will get it its not that hard especially with a starting poing of the manual Set ur idle first then use air fuel mixture screw in will go lean out will run rich lean equals more air rich more fuel Also chk ur spark plug may have weak spark as well

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your advice. Finally had a break in our sub-zero temps up here (Oak Ridges, Ontario, Canada) today to give it another go.
About 48°F! I have to work on it outdoors unfortunately. Keep it in a leak proof shed I built that fits the Quad, racks, etc. but not for working inside. No garage. Just trying to point out that as far as outdoor efforts go, mine are pretty limited at present. Put my new battery in fully charged but had to use pull start. Found 20 amp blown fuse but not sure if that was an issue. It did start with new battery when i first tried it but after i brought the battery indoors and took it out today, its not starting via electric start. 12.8 volts on my meter. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Have Seafoam fuel additive in for about a week now as well. Would start with choke on full but as soon as I barely feathered the throttle it conks out. I'm sure your right about a good carb cleaning and pilot screw adjustment though. Sadly thats a bit beyond my scope of expertise. Funny that it ran a bit longer on a rough up and down idle when I blew into the hose on gas cap. Added fuel pressure I gather? I assume the fuel pump works but maybe this could be a sign that it isn't doing so well. Getting consistent full flow of gas into carb though. No drips and drabs. Put in new air box (5 months ago) but old air filter in it probably pooched. Will buy a new one this week. No farting or burping 😂. Just up and down idling that just stalls out. Sometimes after 5 mins or so and eventually after maybe 40 secs. Strange.
I do appreciate your input even though it seems I may have other issues apart from the carb itself. Will post update as I tackle various methods including those you've suggested. Thank you again. 👍🏻

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for your advice. Finally had a break in our sub-zero temps up here (Oak Ridges, Ontario, Canada) today to give it another go.
About 48°F! I have to work on it outdoors unfortunately. Keep it in a leak proof shed I built that fits the Quad, racks, etc. but not for working inside. No garage. Just trying to point out that as far as outdoor efforts go, mine are pretty limited at present. Put my new battery in fully charged but had to use pull start. Found 20 amp blown fuse but not sure if that was an issue. It did start with new battery when i first tried it but after i brought the battery indoors and took it out today, its not starting via electric start. 12.8 volts on my meter. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Have Seafoam fuel additive in for about a week now as well. Would start with choke on full but as soon as I barely feathered the throttle it conks out. I'm sure your right about a good carb cleaning and pilot screw adjustment though. Sadly thats a bit beyond my scope of expertise. Funny that it ran a bit longer on a rough up and down idle when I blew into the hose on gas cap. Added fuel pressure I gather? I assume the fuel pump works but maybe this could be a sign that it isn't doing so well. Getting consistent full flow of gas into carb though. No drips and drabs. Put in new air box (5 months ago) but old air filter in it probably pooched. Will buy a new one this week. No farting or burping 😂. Just up and down idling that just stalls out. Sometimes after 5 mins or so and eventually after maybe 40 secs. Strange.
I do appreciate your input even though it seems I may have other issues apart from the carb itself. Will post update as I tackle various methods including those you've suggested. Thank you again. 👍🏻
I have been dealing with the cold and no garage also and its been brutal I worked on my quad the other day when it was 15 degrees it was murder on my hands keep us posted also check if the fuel pump works off vacumn and make sure vacumn line is not cracked or broken and pump is working properly also check spark plug make sure its gapped and clean also the color of plug will tell alot if ur getting to much air or fuel

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been dealing with the cold and no garage also and its been brutal I worked on my quad the other day when it was 15 degrees it was murder on my hands keep us posted also check if the fuel pump works off vacumn and make sure vacumn line is not cracked or broken and pump is working properly also check spark plug make sure its gapped and clean also the color of plug will tell alot if ur getting to much air or fuel
Thanks for the follow up but I don't believe there is a.vacuum line on my 92. On my Facebook 250 Quadrunner and 300 Quad King group it appears it is gravity fed.
There was never a vacuum line attached to my previous OEM petcock, nor was there an elbow to attach one to. There is also no such vacuum line inducated (or even mentioned) in the schematics (Clymer book) of the 92 I have. We did have a balmy 48°f a couple of days ago so naturally I took advantage of this and tried once more to get the old beast running. Took my new battery fully charged out, reinstalled it temporarily and tried to use push start. Nothing. Pretty certain all wiring leads were in proper place but I did find a 20 amp fuse (not sure what its for to be honest) that was blown. As I had none on hand I tried a 24 amp temporarily. Still nothing. So, I once more had to go the old pain in the a** pull start method. Full choke on. Gave it a fee pulls and it started and ran (albeit roughly) for about maybe 5 minutes (several times). However, each time I so much as feathered the throttle it bogged out. Was out there for a good three hours trying this and that. Playing with idle adjuster, etc. 😪 Nada! Even kicked her into first with full choke but again, nada.
It has been suggested to me that perhaps the OEM Mikuni carb is not getting enough air. To maybe change the air filter (as it had worked for this guy). Even though I put in a like new air box, brand new air box inlet tube and filter element holder (sweet! They're made out of metal now. Not that crappy plastic skeleton) I realized I hadn't changed the five year old air filter itself. I did clean it a bit and re oiled it but pretty dumb of me to do so in retrospect.
So, I am picking up a brand new air filter, oiling it up and we'll see what happens. Also going to put in all new fuses with the correct amps (if I can find out what that should be).
Have to wait for another freak warm day though. We had about 7 inches of snow overnight and more on the way tomorrow.
Sub zero temps again as well. 😡🤣
Thank you again so much for your suggestions and the time you've taken to assist. 👍🏻 Mike

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the follow up but I don't believe there is a.vacuum line on my 92. On my Facebook 250 Quadrunner and 300 Quad King group it appears it is gravity fed.
There was never a vacuum line attached to my previous OEM petcock, nor was there an elbow to attach one to. There is also no such vacuum line inducated (or even mentioned) in the schematics (Clymer book) of the 92 I have. We did have a balmy 48°f a couple of days ago so naturally I took advantage of this and tried once more to get the old beast running. Took my new battery fully charged out, reinstalled it temporarily and tried to use push start. Nothing. Pretty certain all wiring leads were in proper place but I did find a 20 amp fuse (not sure what its for to be honest) that was blown. As I had none on hand I tried a 24 amp temporarily. Still nothing. So, I once more had to go the old pain in the a** pull start method. Full choke on. Gave it a fee pulls and it started and ran (albeit roughly) for about maybe 5 minutes (several times). However, each time I so much as feathered the throttle it bogged out. Was out there for a good three hours trying this and that. Playing with idle adjuster, etc. 😪 Nada! Even kicked her into first with full choke but again, nada.
It has been suggested to me that perhaps the OEM Mikuni carb is not getting enough air. To maybe change the air filter (as it had worked for this guy). Even though I put in a like new air box, brand new air box inlet tube and filter element holder (sweet! They're made out of metal now. Not that crappy plastic skeleton) I realized I hadn't changed the five year old air filter itself. I did clean it a bit and re oiled it but pretty dumb of me to do so in retrospect.
So, I am picking up a brand new air filter, oiling it up and we'll see what happens. Also going to put in all new fuses with the correct amps (if I can find out what that should be).
Have to wait for another freak warm day though. We had about 7 inches of snow overnight and more on the way tomorrow.
Sub zero temps again as well. 😡🤣
Thank you again so much for your suggestions and the time you've taken to assist. 👍🏻 Mike
Cool, my 86 has a vacuum operated fuel pump. Yes, definitely check the air filter and even take it off and run it without one jusf to check if it’s that. I did blow the same fuse ur talking about once before and my quad wouldn’t start. I did jump the coil with a wire and it fired up. But definitely change the fuse. And have a spare fuse in front of the blown one if there are two slots. One is usally a spare but again I’m coming from a 86 quadrunner.

·
Administrator
9,371 Posts
The vacuum operated fuel petcocks didn’t appear till ‘93 or ‘94. So your ‘92 shouldn’t have one. Though I do believe it has a vacuum line for the fuel pump.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kool my 86 has a vaumn operated fuel pump Yes deff chk air filter and even take it off run without one jusf to chk if its that i did blow the same fuse ur talking about once before and quad wouldnt start i did jump out coil with a wire it fired up but deff change fuse some have a spare fuse in front of the blown one if there r 2 slots one is usally a spare but again im coming from a 86 quadrunner
Great. Will for sure check out air. As for fuses. I have 2 x 20 amp under hood (below right/throttle handle bar area) and 2 x 10 amp in center under hood. So, one is a spare then in both cases. I've tried looking in my Clymers specs under "fuses" and even looked at electrical schematic for my exact model just to figure out what the correct amperage should be on these. Looked online too. My Suzuki dealer told me there should only be 15 amp and 10 amp. So now I'm pretty confused. With respect to having "one fuse and a spare" the inputs have 2 live ports for 2 fuses. Maybe 92 LT4WD has to have all fuses live? Can't find any answers via searches today. Oh. One last thing if you don't mind. You had asked previously in the thread whether or not I'd put a new plug in. Indeed I did. NGK DR-7EA per spec. Also bought spare Champion equivalent and have relatively new connector on it. So, I don't think thats any issue. Sorry if I'm asking too many questions by the way. I'm pretty good at a lot of repair/replace/maintain on my Quad. Change oil, differential oil, put in a new starter..but I do recognize my limits. Used to have a good pal with time of ATV and snow machine know how but sadly he passed. Anyhow, so very grateful for your input. Really! 👍🏻
The vacuum operated fuel petcocks didn’t appear till ‘93 or ‘94. So your ‘92 shouldn’t have one. Though I do believe it has a vacuum line for the fuel pump.
Pretty sure your right there. Will double check to make certain. Been siphoning hose to get fuel pump activated (if it isnt) as I'd read a couple of things that said it would help prime the fuel pump. Seem to be getting adequate fuel down to carb but also blown into gas tank hose to build up pressure as I'd seen advised. Lucky no nearby onlookers. 😂

·
Registered
66 Posts
[/QUOTE I was talking about the vacumn line for the fuel pump i didnt know there were vacumn operated fuel valves from what he was saying it sounded like a similiar problem I was having and I found a hole in the vacumn line from fuel pump to carburator manifold , witch I also had to change my manifold but he may want to check into his manifold as well Im not to familiar with the bigger 4 wd quads as far as my Suzuki its a 86 and my other quad is a 2003 sport quad I was just throwing out some general causes and possible fixs of the problems he stated Hopefully he gets it sorted out I know you have lots of knowlage about these machines so hopefully you can help him

·
Registered
66 Posts
i was suggesting to check the vacumn line on fuel pump i didnt know there were petcocks that were vacumn operated

1 - 13 of 13 Posts