Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired a possibly 89 lt250r . The guy I got it from says it was a 92 but I tracked down owner before him and he says '89.
Besides that , I'm new to two strokes. Never owned one never worked on one just know the concept . The bike runs good when I can get it to start but it's very hard . Previous owner tried to adjust the carb to run on full choke . ( and he wondered why it kept fowling plugs ) . Well I got it set to factory settings on carb now as I don't know what else to do or how to tune and to make it worse it's completely missig the idle screw . But I got it running runs awesome need advice don't know where to start I know I wanna rebuild this carb and have no clue where to go from there just wanna make it reliable and safe . Don't wanna rebuild it anytime soon or make a dumb newbie mistake. So can someone give me some guidance. Would be very appreciated! Can answer any questions about bike. And any direction you can't point me in to read and earn some knowledge on these or two stroke concept of these would be very much appreciated . I want to understand this bike completly before I go to tearing in to it ! Thanks !

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Rebuild kit won't have that idle screw. It is, however, a very common carb and all of the idle screws for it are identical.

The VIN number is on the back left frame upright, write it down and then do a search "Suzuki VIN decoder". There are a lot of sites, so you'll have to just weed through to find the one that is automatic. There are manual instructions on these forums.

The main thing with that idle screw missing is that it is adding more air through the hole. Maybe that was his intention, but it won't really work that way. Even if you do not get the idle screw, you should plug the hole.

(ps. I'm assuming that is a VM carb as opposed to a CV. VM carbs the throttle cable is connected directly to the slide.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try the decoder thing see if I can find the year. My main problem is I have never messed with a mikuni style carb. I managed to find a PDF for my bike givin that it's for the right year. But I'd really like to get the screw for it because it idles high and not even smoothly it revs up and down slightly on it's own if I leave it idleing . I really would just like to find some good reading or get some advice on tuning . I already have the carb set like it shows in the manual I have . But, I know there has to be something wrong with my float or needle as it always is running fuel out of the over flow unless I turn the fuel valve off. And just a dumb question here but it takes on average 7-8 kicks to start it . Has good compression and good spark . I'm guessing all my problems are leading back to my carb? If I order the lot from eBay to rebuild and get a new screw, is there a video or detailed instructions I can find on how to rebuild it . Or is it just one of those puzzle games lol . Take it apart and hope you can out it back together

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry guys if I sound dumb this is my first 2 cycle and it's Like a different language in my eyes right now as I still haven't completly understood the mechanics of it . I understand fuel and air comes in through the cylinder wall and it lubricates the rings and also brings in the fuel that makes it run but how does it lubricate crank and piston rod bearings ?? I'm just kinda lost lol I need some education on it all .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts