Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lot of general mechanical skills, but I have never worked with a carburetor. I have purchased the rebuild kit and I have a manual, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for this kind of work?

Also here are the symptoms: When cold (below 40 degrees F) my LT4WD is a bear to start, and usually just floods. Below freezing it won't start. After a bit of trying to start the engine, the plug would be wet, and there would be excess fuel in the cyl, standard flooding. If I put a heater under it with a blanket over it for a couple of hours, it will start eventually. I have been using the recoil starter for the past two winters as the starter clutch was shot, but that has now been fixed (I know that this will make a difference, but not sure how much).

I think that I am having an issue with the fuel not atomizing properly. I'm hoping that the rebuild will fix this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As far as the carb goes, print out a parts breakdown from a suzuki dealer and follow it, I've had problems where the manual's show a similar carb with a few things different. Also be sure to compare the parts in the kit to what comes out of your carb. If I have an especially difficult carb problem or complicated carb (think bing) I'll take each piece off and tape it to a thick paper and label what it is and where it came from, also what the settings are at. I find it's helpful if you can't get back to it for a while.
Otherwise usually carbs are not that difficult to rebuild, be sure to blow out the passages with compressed air and/or carb cleaner and look over them to make sure there clear

1 - 4 of 4 Posts