Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 1986 suzuki lt230. There is an electrical plug near the taillight. Is this an auxiliary port for accessories ? Or a fuse.
I kinda did did a learning moment. And put a wire jumper in it. And the key switch is now burned up. Yeah I'll own it. So if it's an acc plug i basically shorted out the key. If its a fuse port i have another bad short grounding out. Should probably be obvious by scorched harness, oops. It's a learning moment right
Hey thanks man

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Normally that extra wire is for an optional brake light.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
You have to add the switch....should be 2 wires above the carb by the top of the frame on right hand side with bullet connectors not connected to anything.They connect to a switch activated by the foot brake. You can use a generic switch designed for that purpose .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ohh k . So what would happen if someone, maybe me, put a jumper across the plug near the taillight ? I'm going to assume that the power comes through here as it's in the harness. A direct short? If no switch is hooked up , should this plug stay open? That's my primary concern.
I wasn't sure if a fuse went here or an accessory port.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
There should be no power to it if the 2 wires up by the carb are not connected to each other. One is hot and the other is just the end of the wire going to the rear,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, I tested for power to the plug. Power to red wire. No power to red wire in headlamp assembly, key switch. I put a 10 amp fuse in and had power to switch n machine started.
It's done this before. Oem switch burned. I figured it was old. Replaced it burned. Now I'm trying to figure it out before this switch burns.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts