Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
85 lt230 quad runner lost neutral light

My wife's 1985 suzuki lt230GE quadrunner was running good. We went for a 2 hour trail ride and all was good till right as we were pulling up to the trailer she rolled it. After I got it back on it wheels and her from underneath I couldnt get it to start. I can shift it into neutral and reverse but the indicators dont light up and I get nothing at the e start button. I can start it with the pull cord. I tested the neutral safety switch and tested good as well as the reverse switch. I also tested the neutral relay and it works. Tested the indicator lights by running 12v from a spare battery to the connections for the indicators. They both light up respectively. I can also get it to start by jumping the starter solenoid terminals.lI feel like its gotta be a break in the harness somewhere as ive eliminated everything else I can think of unless someone else has something to try before I rip out the whole harness and unwrap it. Below is wire diagram.
20200914_163734.jpg

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
Based on your symptoms, the neutral safety switch sounds like it’s your culprit even though you’ve tested it. No neutral light, electric starter doesn’t work. These are all the classic signs of the neutral safety switch gone bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I tested the neutral safety switch by checking for conductivity. It shows flow when in neutral but nothing in gear as it should. I noticed it runs into the reverse sensor. I tested the plain blue and get from the reverse sensor and get flow when in neutral and when I switch it into reverse the flow changes to the blue/red wire as it should. Could this be the reverse switch that the problem is? I also tested the relay and get a strong click when battery is connected but shows a high resistance (Idk if that's normal for a relay) Sorry I just wanna be sure before I throw 80$ at a switch.
Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wanted to update. I got the e start to work by jumping the orange and the grey wire from the plug that leads into the harness. Its regularly plugged into the wires that run to the dash panel. I don't get any indication lights of course but it works. It also will only let me start in neutral which points to the switch being good I would think. I would like to still fix this right if someone can tell me what jumping the orange and grey accomplished maybe it will point to whats bad.

·
Registered
2000 King Quad 300 4x4 1987 Quadrunner 250 4x4
24 Posts
I wanted to update. I got the e start to work by jumping the orange and the grey wire from the plug that leads into the harness. Its regularly plugged into the wires that run to the dash panel. I don't get any indication lights of course but it works. It also will only let me start in neutral which points to the switch being good I would think. I would like to still fix this right if someone can tell me what jumping the orange and grey accomplished maybe it will point to whats bad.
I have this same problem, you either have to mess with a blueish wire under the seat on the right side, or you might have to get new electrical cords for you batter because it could've pulled out a wire or broke.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have this same problem, you either have to mess with a blueish wire under the seat on the right side, or you might have to get new electrical cords for you batter because it could've pulled out a wire or broke.
Since I'm able to start the bike with the starter when I have the orange and grey wires jumped i know it's not the battery wires or the blue wire. If you look at the diagram I posted it shows that the grey is power for the lighting circuit and the orange is ground for the starting circuit. My problem is with the orange wire circuit as some point. If your having the same problem as me pull out the headlight and disconnect the blue plug and on the side of the plug that goes back in the harness jump the orange and grey and see if it allows you to use the button. Won't be any indication lights though

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I changed out the reverse and the neutral switch and get the same result. So much for that. Getting a couple relays to switch out but past that I don't know where to check next.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New relays changed nothing as well. Really hope someone can chime in with where I should be looking next.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unwrapped the entire harness checking for breaks or chaffing and nothing. Getting continuity through all wires pertaining to start circuit. Completely puzzled. Someone has to know something else to try....

·
Registered
2000 King Quad 300 4x4 1987 Quadrunner 250 4x4
24 Posts
Unwrapped the entire harness checking for breaks or chaffing and nothing. Getting continuity through all wires pertaining to start circuit. Completely puzzled. Someone has to know something else to try....
I doubt it's this but have you checked your fuses?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the reply. This quad does not have any fuses. The PO has taken the fuse box out near the battery and just joined the wires.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Didn't get a lot of response here but because I believe in always posting the solution to help other readers down the line here it is.
Turned out to be 2 areas. My orange wire from the key switch was broken up by the headlight. This ground for the lighting circuit. Fixed that and got my reverse light back but no neutral light. Found while gutting all the wiring out to check from more breaks that one of my plug connections was making the neutral light flicker. Turns out the plug was not making a good connection anymore and replacing it fixed the light. Now it starts just fine.
Thanks aintomical for responding with ideas. Keep the forum alive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts