Suzuki ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I really could use some help. I have my winch powered by the orange wire from my AUX outlet “cigarette lighter”.

I see that under my speedometer/pod light there are the 3 wires (black, green and the orange). I know these wires have been discussed by many in the past.

I want to add heated handgrips to my KQ, but don’t want to cause any electrical damage by having too much connected to the orange wire. I know that I could add a fuse between where I spliced into my orange wire for my winch and the orange wire connection under the pod light, but if that is too much power consumption for the orange wire then the fuse will constantly need to be replaced.

I really don’t want to connect my grips straight to my battery.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
2019 King Quad 750
147 Posts
It may depend on how much current your heated grips use. I would think you still might be able to use the orange wire for your grips and winch providing your not using both at the same time. I'm not much on electrical, so hopefully someone with a little more knowledge will chime in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called Koso (grip manufacturer) and was told that the heated grips pull 3 amps.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was worried that I would blow a fuse linked to the orange/black wire when using heated grips and winch while plowing, but if my calculations are correct there should not be an issue.
My winch motor current uses 40 amps when pulling 500 lbs. I would assume my plow is approx. 100 lbs. Therefore, if my math is correct I will be using 8 amps while using the winch to plow and 3 amps when using the heated grips (well below the amps used when actually pulling myself or someone else out of a ugly spot).
If anyone thinks otherwise, please let me know.
Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Your winch should be powered directly off the battery, not the accessory circuit. Accessories like heated grips should also come directly off the battery, but use a relay for turning them on/off. The accessory circuit is for lower amperage devices like a radio, gps or USB charger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts