Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey folks,
Trying to put my engine back together and running into a issue with the cam chain timing. See the pics for more clarity of the issue.
I can not get the dot on the upper gear to line up with the hash mark on the head. It is always a half dot off one way or the other. I tried rotating the crank around one turn (several times) and have the same issue, is it possible to be off on the crank? which of these looks more correct to those of you who have "been there-done that" or is there something else I am missing yet?
2016 kingquad
THANKS for any help you can provide!
IMG_0197.jpg
IMG_0195.jpg
IMG_0196.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought a Manual and it shows they should be lined up, which is why I hoping for some direction. I did not look at Youtube but will for sure do that!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Not uncommon for them to not line up. That >1° would only make a difference if you're running full throttle 99% of the time.

Assuming you're at TDC, set it to where if you roll forward it would line up (advanced).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not uncommon for them to not line up. That >1° would only make a difference if you're running full throttle 99% of the time.

Assuming you're at TDC, set it to where if you roll forward it would line up (advanced).
[/QUOTE
THANKS for the reply!!
I was not sure if it would be better to be slightly advanced or slightly retarded with the cam, so if I roll the flywheel off the mark to get the cam lined up on the mark that would be retarded cam timing would it not? So your saying the crankshaft is a fuzz advanced? Just want to be sure I’m on the same/right wavelength ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did you put the cams back on with the chain tensioner removed?
No the cams are not on yet because I was not comfortable with not being able to line up the timing marks. Hopefully I can look at it again tomorrow night, been a pretty busy week so far

·
Banned
21 Posts
you got me a little confused now,

you made it seem like the engine is being put back together, assuming it was apart.

but from this recent comment, I am assuming you are just looking for the perfect TDC to take it apart!?

maybe your chain is stretched out?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for the confusion, the engine was apart due to a defective rod bearing. Only 300miles on the engine but “ to old for warranty” so I’m doing it myself with the help of a Suzuki service manual. I put the jug and head back on but am not able to get the dot on the cam drive gear to line up directly with the line in the head, it’s always half a dot off no mattter what I try

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If your referring to the black plastic guides, they are both in, nothing else is on the head yet related to the cams or chain

·
Banned
21 Posts
there will be a whole section on the chain tensioner, but basically bolt #13
be careful as there is a spring and pin under there, if you dont hold the bolt it may fly out.
account for all the parts behind it.
then you can remove the bolts that are holding the tensioner body in place #16
the gasket may or may not stay on the cylinder, it may or may not need to be replaced, if you are that far into it, I hope you got a gasket kit as a head gasket would have been needed to be replaced, you cannot reuse them, coolant will leak, and you may lose compression.

once you have the cam chain tensioner removed, installed the jug,
follow the camshaft installation procedure in the manual.
once thats done, and only then, install the chain tensioner, that should align everything back in place.

good luck, please let us know:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I’m finally getting back to this thing, I set the timing up so the cam is just a fuzz advanced, hopefully it will correct as the chain stretches. Hope to try and run it this weekend.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts