Suzuki ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy I’m new here I have a early 2000s king quad. When I accelerate 1st is fine then top of 2nd misses and splutters then gets worse from there 3rd 4th. The card is super clean fuel pump has been replaced. Float is 13mm, needle is 3rd slot from the bottom. If I give it choke it runs way better but will die when I come to a stop.
I assume I have a fuel delivery problem but can’t find it.
Any suggestions. My local mechanic just shrugged. Friday itus.

·
Administrator
9,531 Posts
If your having to run the choke to make your bike run a bit better it sounds more carb related to me. I know you said the carb was clean, but does that include all the jets as well..? Was you carb recently cleaned..? Did your local mechanic or yourself install a carb rebuild kit after it was thoroughly cleaned..? And welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I pick the bike up with a rotten frame but running. I swapped a the parts to a new frame. Then this issue started. The carb hasn’t been rebuilt. The local Mech doesn’t want anything to do with it he’s extremely unhelpful at best. I opened the carb up and inspected all jets and float needle seat and tip they were all very clean. But I have no experience with a carb beyond that. I’d there is more to clean and check. The fuel pump had a damaged diaphragm so has been replaced with inline low pressure electrical pump.
Thanks for your reply

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
Have also checked for vacuum leaks with ether and can’t find any
Welcome to the forum. Like AJL said, I would be suspicious of the carb.

The other question I have is the fuel. Was there any old fuel left in it? Often when they run better with the choke on it could be old fuel as a root cause.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi John thanks for the reply. When I swapped frames I rinsed the fuel tank out before reassembling. Is it possible that the Venturi ports are blocked if so how would I clean them.

·
Administrator
9,531 Posts
I’m not sure if running a electric fuel pump might be part of your issue. I don’t believe I’ve ever ran across anyone using one before. Normally the fuel pumps are vacuum operated and cycle once the engine is being cranked or running. It’s quite possible this could be your issue. Though not 100% certain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The problem was present before I swapped the fuel pump. In theory the fuel pump should be better as it supplies a constant supply of fuel as a constant not varied by rpm. If anything it would cause flooding due to a leaking float needle seat. I will buy a carb rebuild kit and start from scratch I think.

·
Administrator
9,531 Posts
Well figured I would ask. My 300 is a 2000 model with over 14,500 kilometres and still going strong on the vacuum pump. The pump as you say pulsates fuel not continuously flows fuel. So I wasn’t sure if the constant flow of fuel would be to much that it would cause running issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So when pulling the carb apart again I noticed a rubber washer under the main jet between the jet and the Ally housing, it was squashed flat I replaced it with a Oring for now and is now running 98% better. I think the rebuild kit will solve the issue proper

·
Administrator
9,531 Posts
Glad to hear it was only that. Most times a simple cleaning isn’t enough. Can’t tell you how many people I’ve recommended to throw a carb kit in and it solves their issue a good 80% of the time.

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
So when pulling the carb apart again I noticed a rubber washer under the main jet between the jet and the Ally housing, it was squashed flat I replaced it with a Oring for now and is now running 98% better. I think the rebuild kit will solve the issue proper
Do some research here and elsewhere online On cleaning that carb in lemon juice. It is an amazing cleaner for carbs and what I suggest to people that have known , or suspected carb issues.

Glad you are headed in a better direction with it.

·
Administrator
9,531 Posts
Not a problem. That’s what’s great about this Forum. Atv enthusiasts helping out other atv enthusiasts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts